Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extended elk season east kootenays?

Extended elk season east kootenays?

Do you think the powers at be will extend the elk season? I don't see the forestry opening the bush before October. By then we will have lost more than half the opportunity.If not there might be some nice 6 spikes for next year if the Wolves don't get them!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Extended elk season east kootenays?

I doubt they will extend the season....IMO.
    AS for more elk due to the closure in regards to hunting, I doubt that makes a difference as well.
    Their decline has been for other reasons, not hunting.
    If anything, some of those fires might be the factor that arises to give elk some better habitat once again.
    Probably will require another season of fires up there to make a real noticeable difference for elk #'s in the future.

Don't hold your breath.

Doubt you will see a season change. It may suck for hunters this year but it's not going to have a negative affect on wildlife. Nothing wrong with animals getting a bit of a break this year

Just think you may have a crap season this year but it may result in some good future seasons. Think long term and don't stress about right now

At age 76 it gets pretty hard to think long term anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by ellenbill View Post
    Fair enough lol

I see little hope for an extension govt does not make adjustments that fast, NDP is not our friend, and a lack of overall support from both the hunting and non hunting public

Do you think the powers at be will extend the elk season? I don't see the forestry opening the bush before October. By then we will have lost more than half the opportunity.If not there might be some nice 6 spikes for next year if the Wolves don't get them!
    Can't see it. There is still opportunity to hunt in other regions

So true, my Dad is 78 this year, and I know he has been talking that his hunting days, especially hunting Elk in the
    EK (something he has done up there for the last 45 years annually) are coming to an end over the past few years.
    I think this closure has him feeling down, as he loves being up there, but I think he is now concerned that this was probably his last season (his body is pretty beat up from heavy lifting construction career).
    I am hoping that the ban is lifted for the beginning of October, for his sake, but we sure need the weather gods to kick in real quick here in BC, especially the south east sector of BC.
    Weather is supposed to change Sunday night down here in Vancouver with an Alaskan Low dropping in.....should be carrying some decent rain, but not sue how much of it will dump in the EK, and it is going to take a "large dump" of it
    to get the ban lifted.
    If not, I might be heading north for the 1st time ever.

The reason I posted this is that on occasions in the 60s
    I can remember extensions being made for various reasons. Maybe some other old timers remember also.

I feel for your Dad Bugle M in this might be my last year too.
    What I can't understand is why the complete closure in the east kootenay other areas have had just as bad conditions?

The reason I posted this is that on occasions in the 60s
    I can remember extensions being made for various reasons. Maybe some other old timers remember also.

I feel for your Dad Bugle M in this might be my last year too.
    What I can't understand is why the complete closure in the east kootenay other areas have had just as bad conditions?
    I think this has just been an unusual season.
    I understand, some guys are out hunting around R5/R3. close to where the fires are/were, and it leaves me scratching my
    head as well.
    But, in regards to the EK, most of the ongoing fires right now, are occurring along the eastern borders and south, and are
    still pretty active as we speak, so I get it.
    I think they have had some rain in those Cariboo regions, so that may have helped ease concerns??
    I just looked at the forecast, long term, and other then 2 to 3 days coming up the beginning of next week, there isn't
    any rain in the forecast.
    And some of the rain they thought was coming, didn't amount to much.
    My partner spoke to someone from the region, in regards to opinion of length of closure, and all they could say is that it
    is up to the fire marshall to decide, and no one knows how much rain is needed to open up things.
    They understand it is impacting local businesses as well as residents and tourist, but not much they can do.
    I have changed plans hoping for a "beginning of Oct opening", but I have a bad feeling it may not open until the 9th, waiting til after that weekend to open up...and that is only if a decent amount rain does fall by then.
    Temperatures cooling down are beneficial, but not without rain.