Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the odds?

What are the odds?

In 2015 I went to a spot in region 2 on opening day and at around 8:300 saw two bucks and shot one. Buddy had got one 400 metres away a half hour before.

Last year I went to the same spot and at around 8:30 shot a buck about 40 metres from where I had shot the previous one.

This year I went back to the same place opening day at 8:30 and WTF?

No 8:30 buck.

Went back the next day.

No buck.

Went back yesterday and at 9:50, guess what?

Two point buck standing in the open 60 yards away from me.

I'd been scanning in the other direction and he saw me first and retreated to safety, but I got to thinking.

Is there a pattern here?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What are the odds?

You have found the magical "pocket". Migration route, wintering habitat, a concentration of feed free from predators, whatever it is. If you are smart, you should be successful in that spot for years to come...
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

If you really smart you will TELL NO ONE !!!!!

Spots like that are rare.........
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Yup, sounds like you found the proverbial "Honey Hole".

Found a spot where deer like to hang out at that time of year.
    If you go later, the chances are that they are no longer there, and migrated out.

It might be a pattern, or it might just be a fluke. Tell me where it is and I'll investigate.
    Pretend hunter.

Lots of spots like that. I can think of 2 areas, one we have taken 13 bucks out of that I can remember over the last 10 years or so, another one we have taken several white tail, a mulie and could have taken a moose if we weren't tagged out or had the LEH different years.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

I think it depends on the spot. New slash, just growing up, you may have a bunch more years of good hunting, or it could be just at the point where it's starting to dry up, or I should say, too much vegetation that you will no longer be able to see them on a consistent basis. I also believe sometimes bucks are educated by the their elders, which lead them back to the prime spots year after year. Shoot all the bucks every year, and there is none to teach the young ones. Or.... maybe your "buddy" gonged the hole without you knowing.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

I've shot 7 bucks while sitting on the same stump over 5 years. I've got the spot pretty well pegged timing wise. Never sat for more than two hours. Never hunted it more than two days a season.

My spot is a natural funnel of forest between a small lake and a heavily hunted road.

guest Guest

Way to go MD, good things happen to folks that deserve it. You've helped lots of folks, it's the hunting gods watching you lol

Something fishy going on I think... Next year you should take me with you, just to make sure its not a coincidence...?