Thread: 8-23 Deer & LEH Moose

8-23 Deer & LEH Moose

Hi ladies and gents,

As some of you may already know I had my first successful LEH draw for November moose in 8-23. To say I'm excited would be an understatement! I can't stop thinking about it and researching. I really want summer to be over haha.. I think I'm obsessed? I put in for this area because my brother recently moved up there and I plan to be spending a lot of time in that area anyway. This will be my third year hunting, though unsuccessful to date for big game. I'm definitely chomping at the bit for my first successful harvest but I love being out in our wilderness none the less. I'm grateful for any time I can get in our back country.

The hubby and I were up near Sugar Lake last weekend doing some scouting. I was surprised at how dense the bush was up there. I'm inexperienced and naive to say the least but I thought that area would be a bit thinner. I saw some old elk and moose sign and an absolutely endless amount of bear sign. Seriously, I've never seen so much in my life. That area must just be crawling with black bears.

I think our next trip out there scouting I will check out down south, below Cherryville. I told myself I wouldn't make a post asking for assistance but alas, here I am. After a lot of reading, it seems one of my main concerns is going to be private property. Can anyone suggest resources for marking where some of these properties are?

In addition to that, if anyone has any other tips, suggestions or recommended reading material for moose hunting in general I would definitely appreciate it! We'll also be hunting for whitetail and mulies as well. We will be there for a week or so in the beginning of November but I also plan on doing a couple earlier trips in October as well. Probably solo, since the hubby's work is less than cooperative with him taking time off.

Thanks in advance for your patience and assistance with this newb hunter lady!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 8-23 Deer & LEH Moose

Bring chains

It can get pretty wild up the hill there in November sometimes. Better to have them and not need them.
    Last edited by Ghengis Khandrey; 07-28-2017 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghengis Khandrey View Post
    Bring chains

It can get pretty wild up the hill there in November sometimes. Better to have them and not need them.
    Appreciate the suggestion Ghengis! After having a scary experience my first year, I invested in a good set last year. Also have a come along.

Be wary of the wolves out there. I know a guy who was calling moose in, had two wolves come instead. One almost jumped him from behind, which he shot, the second came at him after he shot the first. Hit it, but it got away.

I would think more towards Harris cr for the moose draw in Nov . Usually not much snow until mid to late Nov.

Thanks for the heads up about wolves medic. I didn't know they were bad in that area!

I'll check out Harris, thanks Danny!

Look for cut blocks in November for moose, lots of food such as willow etc, they need to refuel after the rut and before winter..

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Look for cut blocks in November for moose, lots of food such as willow etc, they need to refuel after the rut and before winter..
    Thanks Harry, I'll do that

Don't worry about the wolves. Shoot 3 each if you see them.

Best way to find a November bull is to put on the miles until you cross fresh tracks. Get out and follow. They tend to hunker down in a smaller area with good feed after the rut, and generally don't go very far compared to the huge treks they make in the rut.

If you find smokin' fresh tracks in November, he'll be close by. Be ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Thanks for the advice Fisher-Dude!

Well, I've scouted some more and have my brother doing some scouting up there too haha. He recently moved up there so he's doing me a favor So far not a lot of sign and I'm surprised at how grown in some of these areas are. I'm going to be heading up again to do some deer hunting and more moose scouting soon but I'm starting to get a bit disheartened. Did I choose a poor m-u? I haven't even really found a great place to set up camp, besides of course some of the rec sites but I'm trying to avoid those and find my own spot. I'm so excited and so eager to connect with my first harvest but I'm worrying a bit. I know.. I'm whining.. I'm sorry! Just gotta get back out there and put some miles on the boots and truck. I hate to ask but if anyone has any other tips, I'd be incredibly grateful. Thanks everyone!