Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunters' rights encountering hikers with off leash dogs

Question Hunters' rights encountering hikers with off leash dogs

what are our rights as hunters', engaged in hunting in a legal hunting area,during legal hunting season; when we encounter persons in the same area who elect to walk/hike in the area with their dog(s) off leash ? Can't these people give us hunters' our short 3 months of enjoyment....?

Seems only vaguely addressed in the BC Wildlife act.. More specific about using dogs for hunting on leash or off leash for upland or wetland birds, but then these type dogs are with hunters' so that's obvious.

Not looking for debates or rants about "woofie's" need to be free.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunters' rights encountering hikers with off leash dogs

Are you on crown land? Are dogs legally able to be off leash in the area?

Crown Land, The law is quite clear that dogs are never allowed to be off leash in a wildlife habitat area unless specific signs are posted stating otherwise but people do it anyways

Hmmm 4 days ago on private property. .all off a sudden..crashing ..and a beautiful 6 1/2 foot blavk bear comes crashing through the woods.on his ass were 4 dogs..1 huskey,2 sheltie type, one newfoundland. .I must have moved dogs broke off the chase and came from 100 yards and closed in on 40 yards..was getting ready to shoot someones dog..s as they were not friendly..a couple yells and they turned away from me..away from the bears direction..back tge way they came..screwed up a days hunting and the second pair of underwear in a month..
    Yes I would have shot..but been sick doing so as I also own a dog.
    Steven

so we put in all this effort to get set up to be quiet to perhaps build a blind and then "Sally and Billy" can come hiking with "Buster" off leash scaring away any chance at a deer or like what happened to you distressing Black Bears, making that bear a danger now for possible future human interactions. We have no rights. I'm sure you would have been the one "punished" even in self defence if you woulda had to shoot "Buster"

Hmmm srupp since you are a dog owner yourself, maybe you know then . If say you were not a hunter, would you off leash "walk" your dog in the forest ? As I don't own a dog I've never looked into this maybe it is allowed maybe dog owners are allowed to do this , seems like a ridiculous idea to me, but again I don't know ...

I personally dont hunt where people "walk their dogs"

You would prob be shocked then to see how far into the bush that I've seen people are willing to go give "Buster" an off leash romp, its just nuts..

Hmm yes we own a dog.yes we walk Ebony off leash in the forest..so far in 30 years with Brandy, Morgan, Ebony have not had a single event..but yes we walk ourdog off leash in forest.
    On hiking trail with other people, other dogs she is on leash.
    Ebony sees birds, deer, moose.. no inclination to chase..one event and she would be on leash every time.
    These dogs were over 3/4 mile from any home..running without supervision..in a pack..
    Steven

Hunt where there are no people and your success rate will go up as well