Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Murray Lake Scouting Trip

Murray Lake Scouting Trip

Well I don't know how much of a scouting trip it was.
    This was our second attempt at even finding the road off the Coq. Backroads book says exit 240 or maybe it was 250. But it is actually 238, Juliet exit.
    Once off the Coq. there are no signs so we wrongly headed up Juliet. Gee, nice wide two lane paved, only to proceed around the corner and come to an abrupt change to 1 lane gravel cow trail. Had to back the truck and trail down the hill and around the corner as there was no place to turn around.
    So back to the bottom of the hill and again with no signage we decide to head east, paralell to the Coq. We see the turn off for Murray/Maka FSR. Old beat up FSR sign you could barely read.
    head up the hill on a terrible road. narrow, rocks, ruts, wash board and no place to turn around and heaven help us if we meet a vehicle coming down.
    We travelled this for maybe 8 k until it started to level out and we found a place to get off to the side of the road a bit.
    Hubby unloaded one of the quads and continued on to find the lake and a place to turn around.
    I understand that the other way in is a better road. Any comments on that.
    He said the lake was nice but nowhere to park or camp even though the book says 2 forestry campsites.
    We got turned around and crossing our fingers that, again, we would not meet anyone on the way down, we headed back to the Coq.
    I have a doe draw for 3-13 and this is why we wanted to check it out.
    We saw 1 grouse with chicks that were quite small. Saw no deer at all. From the Coq in it looks to be a hard hunt anyway.
    Maybe next time we'll try the other way in from Coldwater.
    Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Murray Lake Scouting Trip

If you take the Coldwater exit of the Coq it's the far easier way in. Once the snow flies it's often the only way in. Head north once off the exit, in about 5km you'll hit a little village, it's called Kingsvale, turn left. Follow the road up to the power line and head south. Stay on the main road, there's lots of off shoots. You'll find the lake. There's all kind of critters in there, you just need to learn the good spots.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Ya like steeleco said coldwater rd is easier. But it is about 25-30km back to murray lake but the roads good. I have never camped at murray lake but there is a campsite at the end and a big grassy area for bigger units.
    If you have a big trailer go back to murray lake but if you got something small or tenting it stay at Gillis lake. Be carefull in there I almost never got out once. Only about 6" of snow but solid ice underneth. bring chains or something just incase

The road going the way you went is not that bad if you don't have a camper or trailer.
    ________
    Volvo b18 engine picture
    Last edited by r106; 02-10-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Smile Re: Murray Lake Scouting Trip

As Steeco stated, head to Kingsvale then follow the signs to Maka - Murry FSR. We have been in there a few times. Each time we head in the spring we see bears and lots of sign. Deer in spring not in mid November. Last November we got hit hard with snow. could hardly move anywhere even with the quads. Almost got stuck with the truck - I've got a Ram 3500 4x4 pulling a 3000 Lbs tandem trailer and just made it out. Will not go in that late this year.

We did see a nice spike moose that would have hit the dirt in season. And if you head up in fall bring a white tail tag. We could not believe it but we both saw them with their big bushy flag.
    When you get to Murray lake camp in the field - a lot less dust.
    The area has loads of trails and roads to explore - a close to the LM spot to get out explore and ride

I was there on the may long weekend. We traveled from kingsvale to murray lake. Its about 30 kms but the road is very good the whole way. When we got to the lake I took the dirt bike down to the highway. I took 10 min on the bike the road is very steep, narrow, and rocky. A good 4x4 can do it but I would not recomend pulling a trailer that way as there is no place to turn around till you get to the lake.
    There is a small camping area at the south end of the lake. Cabins are spread out along the east side of the lake and a larger site at the north end with tables and an outhouse. Like the other guys said there is a large field at the north end.
    We did see a couple of mulys and lots of bear shit on the road.
    The deer are there but that area sees a ton of people on quads, bikes, and 4x4's.
    The BC backroads map books shows the way in from kingsvale via the cold water exit.
    However you will need 2 books, the vancouver, coast & mountains book and the thompson okanagen book.
    Good luck!

Did that loop @ the end of June,the road down from Murray is steep,we ended up the far end of Juliet creek,which is a beautiful spot deep deep into the valley.Fished Gillis on my BD early in July,great little lake......
    Besides if we didn't whine,how would people ignore us ???

My wife and I are heading up that way and was wondering if the lakes up that way are good for swimming in or are they to cold.We are going to meet up with some friends ay the end of June at Buck lk and would like to check out Murry lk,Gillis lk,
    Last edited by Gr8 white hunter; 06-08-2015 at 02:16 PM.

With the altitude it's likely they're still pretty cold for swimming. Many moons ago in Aug the water at Murray was just right for swimming on a hot day. It would be worth a look.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Swimming was fine, cold but nice to cool off. Bugs were insane, and i mean insane. Lots of boats fishing so swimmers may get yelled at a bit
    Kamloops cabins for rent!
    www.bclakefronts.com

Check out some amazing pictures on my Facebook of trophy fish and game:
    www.facebook.com/bclakefronts
    What about YOUTUBE, Check my video on how to make a Euro mount:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CanadianCade

Lakes are pretty cold, and ya tons of Mosquitos up that way. Beautiful country though.