Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: best budget trail cams - under $100

Re: best budget trail cams - under $100

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    Simmons Prohunter has been my go to for cheap trail cams. Run 4 of them and they have been going strong for 4 years with no problems.

I run Browning, Spypoint and Bushnell and the Simmons work just as well for.

Cheers

SS
    seems these are discontinued. Not available anywhere online.

But i did pick up 2 additional stealthcams from WSS yesterday ... on sale for $69.99.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    seems these are discontinued. Not available anywhere online.

But i did pick up 2 additional stealthcams from WSS yesterday ... on sale for $69.99.
    Wally World has them on line and they had one in our store a while ago. Backcountry here in FSJ has them for $129

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/simmons.../6000115629016

Not under $100, but close.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Got a 2 pk Simmons for $100 at Walmart and a 2 pk Moultrie from CT for $150, prefer the Simmons so far. Keep your eyes peeled for sales of 2 packs and you'll do well on price.

Got these from a big box store on sale for roughly $75 each

Bump .... what else is everyone using? I see some pretty damn high quality pictures coming off trail cams from some of you .... makes me wonder, how much are you spending?

Also, what is the thing to look for as indication of quality? All the companies like to put the megapixel count, but it really doesn't mean much if it takes a 10 megapixel photo of sh** quality.

To be honest, the quality of the Stealth Cams that i've been running now is pretty disappointing. You'd think for $100 you'd be able to get a decent quality camera, considering how advanced the technology has become on cellphones and everything else with a lens.

Here's a sample off a Stealth Cam .... The buck is decent quality because he's close, but look at the trees behind. Total crap.

Here's another .... notice that the quality of the bucks is now significantly worse once they're a little further away. The stump is a salt lick and probably 10m from the camera, so call it 40 feet. That's not that far. Am i expecting too much by thinking the quality at 40 feet should be better than this?

I'm going to follow this as I have the same questions. Good thread.

I got a couple 12mp sg 880v cams that I like.
    Got one from bluekysea and one from aliexpress. They were under $75 US if IRC but I can't seem to locate them for that price now unless you buy 100 pcs on alibaba.
    They are quite sensitive though and don't have any sensitivity settings.
    Here's a link to some vid from one.

https://youtu.be/_Ptj2yU6uRU

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SG-880V-HD-...-/141837017948
    I'm going to the dogs.
    Airy Mtn. Airedales

i bought 2 stealth cam from cabelas for 150 i think a year ago.
    They go on sale a fair bit.

I picked up a two pack stealth cam at Xmas for $ 140. They are usually $260 for but like DeepJeep said, they go on sale quite a bit.
    https://www.cabelas.ca/product/97173...-camera-2-pack

If you are after game information and not worried about real good picture quality, these are pretty decent. You wont be framing any pics from them that's for sure but they tell you what you need to know. Myself, I use cheap cameras for two reasons.

1. if one gets stolen, It doesn't sting as much; and
    2. I can get more cameras out for the money.

I also picked up two Moultrie M80 cameras off Amazon for just over $100 each . Been very happy with them.

Disappointing to hear the general feedback on Stealthcam's - I have one G42NG I think it is and love it - awesome all around but over $200. I also have several Spypoints that are pretty good and around the $150 mark. My latest is the Spypoint Solar - running for about 8 months, never changed a battery, in fact they still show 100%. Biggest issue is changing the card out as it fills up! I can't say for sure but I think the lower cost ones will work, but will most likely be slower to trigger = missed opportunities, or poor quality = might not matter, and less options - such as screens to view on site. I am not saying one way or another, but for the purposes I am after, I need to spend the slightly bigger $$$. It TOTALLY SUCKS when they go 'missing' however.
    Tick tock, tick tock...waiting for hunting season...