Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: best budget trail cams - under $100

Re: best budget trail cams - under $100

So I looked at some of these files in detail .... set to "high resolution" the photos come out at 3840x2160 pixels. Thats 8294400, divide by 1000000 you get 8.3 mega pixels.

However, the image size itself is only 1.7mb! An image from an 8MP camera would easily be twice that!

So it seems that the "interpolation" technique they employ is to blame. Instead of giving you small, clear raw pic, they blow it up in the software so you get a large photo with crappier quality!

Unfortunately, it does not seem possible to turn this off .... does anyone else know if there's a way to bypass this idiotic system?

Unfortunately us hunters are a niche market, otherwise there'd already be custom firmware out for these cameras to circumvent this

I’m running 3 stealth cams and 2 moultrie.

Satisfied for the most part. 1 of the moiltrie sucks.

They do do their job for me. Scouting.

Might try a HD camera next but I use cameras mostly for scouting new areas. Mostly set on video.

I have 2 Simmons that I bought as a double pack probably obabky more than 5 years ago. I like what they do in the daytime with pictures and video, but pretty much useless at night. When I buy more I will be focusing on getting something with better lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    I’m running 3 stealth cams and 2 moultrie.

Satisfied for the most part. 1 of the moiltrie sucks.

They do do their job for me. Scouting.

Might try a HD camera next but I use cameras mostly for scouting new areas. Mostly set on video.

Which StealthCams do you have? They are cheap .... for a reason.

I have one PX14FX which is actually not bad. However, the picture quality off of PX12FX is laughable.

However, it seems that the quality is better on LOW resolution. That seems closest to its native resolution. MED and HIGH seem to just do the interpolation, and do it terribly.

Here is a crop of the images at 100% ..... LOW resolution on left. HIGH on right. What a joke. This isn't acceptable even for a $70 camera. I can't even tell if the buck on the right is a 3x3 or a 3x2 or a 2x2? lol.

Obviously, the cheaper you go, the more cameras you can put out, but i think i'll be staying away from StealthCam from now on, unless they're giving them for free. I'm going to try to find a couple of bushnell or Simmons ones people have recommended. Should be able to find a few on eBay.

Had a higher end stealth cam that took excellent photos and video, day/night. Somebody needed it more than me though I guess...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

I have the 14s. I’m satisfied but agree about image quality. I also have a bushnell. Can’t remembee the model but I think it’s one of my better ones. I would check the model but it’s in the bush right now and not accessible until april some time lol. I usually just wait for good prices at crappy tire. I would like to get a HD model and get some grizzly bear footage.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    I have the 14s. I’m satisfied but agree about image quality. I also have a bushnell. Can’t remembee the model but I think it’s one of my better ones. I would check the model but it’s in the bush right now and not accessible until april some time lol. I usually just wait for good prices at crappy tire. I would like to get a HD model and get some grizzly bear footage.
    Yeah, I think for the most part they're ok if all you want is to just get a game count or see how many bucks are in the area. But, if you want any kind of detail, i'd definitely not get them again. Price is right, though.

I think I might try one of the HD Browning or Spy point ones at some point, once I find a good producing area to make actual good use of it.