Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Story of Winston the bear

Re: Story of Winston the bear

Great read

Here’s another about the elusive & legendary grizzly called NERO

by Safarichris
    One of the most talked about Grizzly was a bear that roamed the Gang Ranch in the 1950's he was called by all locals as "Nero" I hunted the bear for eight straight years. His range was from Empire Valley to the Relays and then on over to Big Creek. It was quite a large territory and he could be one day in a valley and the next day ten miles away in another. He was as black as the ace of spades. And had a hind print of 16 inches. The bear was as large as any Gang Ranch Angus bull. His weight was estimated at twelve to thirteen hundred pounds. Only two people ever saw this bear. The year was 1964, May 22 on a spring hunt. The snow in many parts of the valley was still a foot deep. My hunter and I hunted him every morning and evening and laid up during the day. At one o'clock in mid afternoon, broad daylight, he walked across the entire width of the valley and all we had was two small spin casting rods in our hands. (he never exposed himself during the day) That was the only visual sighting of the bear. Some body killed a huge grizzly on the other side of Big Creek a couple of years later. (Well over 1200 lbs) But it was not Nero. The down bear had a slightly different color. Nero is mentioned in several Cariboo books. Nero died of old age. I have taken three bears over 1000 Lbs, and Nero towered over them both in height and girth. he was truly the "Grand daddy" of G.bears.

Also

The Fire Still Burns by Chilco Choate
    Story of the legendary Nero(20 years before Winston) , the biggest grizzly of the Chilcotin starts Pg.9

https://books.google.ca/books?id=XrV...page&q&f=false

We had the privilege of meeting Chilco Choate at Gaspard Lake a few years back.
    Chilco no doubt is a hunting legend & a great story teller.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Re: Story of Winston the bear

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Very interesting story for sure.

Anyone else have serious questions about discharging a 30-30 cartridge in s 308 chamber?
    Is it even possible?
    No, 30-30s rim is .506. .308 is .472. A 30-30 wouldn't fit a 308 bolt face. Not to mention the case rupturing ho