Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Patagonia grizzly bear jerky needed

Re: Patagonia grizzly bear jerky needed

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Why is it so terrible that antis might be active members on this site? I don't see the point in trying to catch them out and identify them as antis. Their two cents doesn't change my participation one bit, not what I post nor what I read. I don't say anything on here that I wouldn't say around a campfire with other hunters or at a cocktail party with a mixed group.

Is there some level of secrecy I'm supposed to observe because people that don't agree with me might be reading what I write? Or offering an opinion that I don't agree with?

Who cares? We certainly don't let them sow discontent amongst us-- we do that ourselves just fine.
    https://t.co/oyv8GbCIuj

There are members of Raincoast on HBC who are merely posing as hunters to extract info, learn about our culture, with an agenda.
    Their mind is made up.....they are merely baiting and engaging in support of that agenda.
    They will pick and chose from the data they extract from hunters, on this site, what is convenient will be documented, what isn't will be flushed.
    They will have it peer reviewed and push that forward to influence Gov on slowly handicapping hunting in general.

In their minds hunting is a "fragile social license".

From the attached article.....
    "And other hunters interested in safeguarding a fragile social license afforded to hunting these days would benefit from speaking up. Their voices can join those presenting arguments from the perspective of ecology, economics, ethics and Indigenous law."

Get your head out of your ass people.
    Some of you are only sharpening their knife.

If you read the article it is plain to see that there are "members" here who's only engagement and focus on this site is solely on this very topic.
    Meanwhile they are only building ammunition to chip away at a lifestyle, a means to feed our families, and a healthy sport we are so passionate about.
    Wake up.

Home // What's new // For the coast //
    New research gives insight into the minds of hunters

Sense of “achievement” is particularly dominant when hunters target carnivores.
    Published on 2017 · 09 · 05 by Chris Darimont
    Photo by Alena Ebeling-Schuld.
    Researchers from the Raincoast Conservation Foundation and the University of Victoria have shed new light on what satisfies hunters. Reporting in the peer-reviewed journal Wildlife Society Bulletin, our former Honours student, Alena Ebeling-Schuld, led our research, which found that appreciation (of nature) and affiliation (bonding experiences with friends and family) are common but less pronounced ‘satisfactions’ expressed by hunters. The dominant satisfaction expressed in online hunting stories is achievement.
    We found that this pattern is especially strong when carnivores, like wolves, cougars or grizzly bears, are targeted.
    86% percent of carnivore hunting stories (compared with 81% of ungulate hunting stories) emphasized achievement as a dominant theme. When carnivores were targeted, appreciation satisfaction was the focus in only 3% of stories.
    Most notably, almost half of carnivore stories had only one satisfaction present, 100% of which exhibited only achievement satisfaction.
    Alena Ebeling-Schuld, now a practicing Conservation Geographer and professional photographer, states, “If these patterns expressed on hunting forums are representative of hunters on a broader scale, then there are clear differences between satisfactions associated with ungulate and carnivore hunts.”
    On the other side of the ledger, carnivores suffer and pay the ultimate cost. Tweet This!
    The greater level of difficulty associated with carnivore hunting might be key to understanding why achievement is more important than other satisfactions. These findings align with evolutionary theory I examined and applied with Evolutionary Anthropologists from the University of Utah last year in the paper “Why men trophy hunt”.
    Seeking achievement evolved because successful hunts in our ancestral past – and nowadays – display qualities of interest to competitors and mates, like skill or wealth. Simply put, accomplishments bring status, which remains an all-important currency for men.
    You can support our research and protect the coast by becoming a donor.
    Donate now

Although there are clear wildlife management implications, I tend to think more about the more direct and practical ways that this information can be useful – today and in BC. By understanding a hunter’s satisfactions and motivations, we can ask bigger questions about our relationships with wildlife. Is a hunter’s feeling of achievement more important than, say, the life of a grizzly bear?
    The reality is that hunters do not typically target grizzlies or other carnivores to feed their families. It is more about feeding their egos with the sense of achievement. We find ourselves in a moment of history when we are re-assessing our cultural and moral relationships to nature. These new results allows us to account for the benefits and costs that flow to those involved in hunting. Carnivore hunters benefit from a sense of achievement but not via not some basic need like food. On the other side of the ledger, carnivores suffer and pay the ultimate cost – with their lives.
    To me, the path forward in BC is clear. Polling data have indicated that even hunters and those in rural areas, while supporting the privilege to hunt for food, are opposed to killing carnivores for trophy. A ‘fringe’ minority of hunters can no longer defend gratuitous killing of carnivores.
    And other hunters interested in safeguarding a fragile social license afforded to hunting these days would benefit from speaking up. Their voices can join those presenting arguments from the perspective of ecology, economics, ethics and Indigenous law.

Chris Darimont, PhD

Chris Darimont is the director of science at Raincoast, and the lead scientist at the Applied Conservation Science Lab at UVic. His work is in biology, evolution and ecology. You can find him on the coast, and sometimes in the waves, somewhere between San Diego and Haida Gwaii.

Last edited by Ourea; 09-15-2017 at 04:12 PM.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

guest Guest

Well said Ourea ........ Pure trolls, time for EVERYONE to realize who these folks are and their agenda.....

jasmine ....or who ever you really are.... Prove your worth of being a true resident BC Hunter. And with that in support of full on BC wildlife sound management which includes predators G Bear, Wolf, Cougar, B bear plus more ..... If you really cared about all wildlife, you would quit hiding . Let's see your true colours, ...... For now your nothing but a Raincoast troll hell bent to throw us all under the bus. Starting with the G Bear hunt.

IMO ....... The evidence is full on.Troll.

CT

Quote Originally Posted by curly top View Post

IMO ....... The evidence is full on.Troll.
    What evidence is that?
    In what topic or what post have I ever trolled the OP.
    I would be more worried about Ourea. Of anyone here he has posted the most information regarding Raincoast. Double agent perhaps??

Quote Originally Posted by kbob View Post
    What evidence is that?
    I would be more worried about Ourea. Of anyone here he has posted the most information regarding Raincoast. Double agent perhaps??
    Whoops. Looks like you posted from the wrong account.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    Whoops. Looks like you posted from the wrong account.
    Yes whats up with that?

What evidence is that?
    Huh? Why would you think someone was referring to you as a troll kbob?
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Researchers from the Raincoast Conservation Foundation and the University of Victoria have shed new light on what satisfies hunters. Reporting in the peer-reviewed journal Wildlife Society Bulletin, our former Honours student, Alena Ebeling-Schuld, led our research, which found that appreciation (of nature) and affiliation (bonding experiences with friends and family) are common but less pronounced ‘satisfactions’ expressed by hunters. The dominant satisfaction expressed in online hunting stories is achievement.
    Selective comprehension at its finest. Posters don't often take the time to expound on all the emotions or rational of a hunt, , but the ilk of Raincoast would spin it the way they want however it is presented
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Doc Weaver and Jassmine hunt together ! RJ
    Last edited by REMINGTON JIM; 09-16-2017 at 09:28 AM.

What evidence is that?
    I've seen some dandy faux pas on hunting sites over the years, but the only one that might top this was a guy who accidentally posted his PM to another member in the open forum.

What evidence is that?
    Ok, this is as funny as it is ridiculous. Double agent LMAO.
    You have spent zero time on HBC to make a comment like that.
    kbob, it appears you have accidentally pulled your pants down.......and with it, your credibility.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea