Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kamloops Advice

Re: Kamloops Advice

I just moved to a place west of Kamloops towards Cache Creek. I am not much of a big game hunter and I am focused on bird hunting behind my English Setter. I hope to get out soon but it takes time to learn where to go when your new to an area. i have not had alot of time to scout so we will see what this fall brings.

Quote Originally Posted by Kami View Post
    Plenty of areas to hunt around Kamloops yes. Problem is it seems like everyone knows it. Seems everyone takes a buck or two during "any buck month of chaos" around Kamloops. Pretty hard for the avarage buck to grow 4 points. Ya generally gotta work real hard for a 4 point around Kamloops. Lots of time and effort. A weekend trip to the Kamloops area from the Lower Mainland, your odds are pretty low for a 4 point in my experience.
    A buck or 2? Really? I pass on a lot of 4 points every year. just becacuse it has 4 points doesn't mean its a mature or even big deer. Gotta get off the beaten path, walk uphill, understand how the deer around kamloops migrate or if they migrate. There are some places like old burns that hold deer all year long, other places where you have spruce/pine stands that hold deer early, and other places where you have majority fir whether the deer move into in the late season to winter, but the biggest thing is to get out and walk uphill...thats all Im saying lol.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by bacon_overlord View Post
    Welcome! Although it might make your brain hurt, try reading some of Jelvis' posts. He details a lot of info on the various MU's and areas around Kamloops.
    Good luck!
    his info is old, very old. There is almost no spots around kamloops that don't hold deer, pick one get your boots on and go explore. Contact zones like where sage meets timber is a great place to start. Go up batch or jamieson, head to barriere, or cache creek direction, find a bridge that crosses a river but if you don't get out of the truck you will only see the stupid little 2 year old 2 points generally speaking. There are so many little swamps and ponds and grassy meadows but without walking you won't find them. Thats how I have figured out my spots...they aren't exlusive just get out there and try.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member