Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving out of the lower mainland (need help)

Re: Moving out of the lower mainland (need help)

Wells are fine as long as you have a recent test done for quantity and quality....watch out for bx and roads off silver star for quantity if your going to be on a well, can be real hit or miss. Lots of folk rely on sisterns up there....but some have 10 gpm the next property over.
    i was looking at lot to build last winter and the lack of water in the well was the only thing that held me up...was off of hartnell Rd, kettleston Rd is another to watch the water....

Water should be your #1 concern on raw land. When you get ready to pull the trigger, contact Deb White, she is a mortgage broker there and will do a great job for you.
    I shoot a "Girly Gun" a lil' ol' 45-70
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and the pig likes it."

Wells can be great and expensive fun. If you're buying raw land and no municipal services then you'll need a well (or at least a water source) and a septic system. If you need to drill a well then start with the provincial well records database. Your future neighbours might have well and you'll get an idea of how deep (mine is 280') and how much. You can also check with local companies that provide wells (not the drill company; the installer). (Vancouver Island drilling costs)

A lot of river front won't support a septic system (water table and all that) so be careful. The health authority has gotten really strict about septic systems and fields and may require an engineered system that could cost $50,000. You're not digging a poop hole any more.

Quote Originally Posted by campking View Post
    Thanks, I am finding most of the properties we are interested in (small acreages) are on wells and I know Jack **** about wells!
    First question is if they or the realtor can provide a drill log. Basic info if it was done right showing depth of well, soil encountered, where and how much water was found by the well driller. Barring that or perhaps in addition talk to a well drilling company or other professional to do an evaluation for you. A water test for quality/purity is also a very good plan. Don't be scared off by wells just do the due diligence thing, and make sure it has enough all through the year which isn't the case in dry summers on many wells out there. If you are interested in a property you can always make an offer and make this a "subject to".
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by wrenchhead View Post
    Wells are fine as long as you have a recent test done for quantity and quality....watch out for bx and roads off silver star for quantity if your going to be on a well, can be real hit or miss. Lots of folk rely on sisterns up there....but some have 10 gpm the next property over.
    i was looking at lot to build last winter and the lack of water in the well was the only thing that held me up...was off of hartnell Rd, kettleston Rd is another to watch the water....
    Thanks!
    One property we are looking at has a house already on 7960 Wilson Jackson Road built in 2001 (North BX) so I will be very careful if we offer to get the well checked out!

Electric heat? check out the monthly/yearly billings too
    and insurance for a non-fire protection area with a fireplace
    Just some more surprises you don't need

Bonus on that one is you could quad from the door to some hunting........or bait and whack on off the deck
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Water is absolutely #1. That said, quality concerns me more than quantity, especially if you are just running a house and lawn/garden. We do just fine on 1.5 gpm and a 1200 gallon cistern. Well casing has about 500 gallon reserve. Run a pump in the well that only kicks on 2x per week when the cistern level drops. A small easily accessible pump is in the cistern to pressure up the house. Really happy with the 2 pump system and cost wise it was $1200 extra, so hardly an issue.

In addition if its a exsisting system run the water for 15 minutes than take a sample i to be tested.
    Most treatment companies will test off stagnent line so you pay more for a treatmet system.

Look for corrosion on taps of a house..

Meet your neighbour ask him..

Another good option is spend as much time on the property as you can even stay there a couple nights.
    See where the sun comes up and goes down..when and where the wind comes from..
    Is there timber or gravel that can help you with other projects.
    Amount of maintence the land and house will need.

And always potential equity gain.

Wilson Jackson is a nice area for sure....one of the areas I warned you about water though. About 15 min. From town, so dandy whitetails run around there.

Hey guys, Brent here, thanks for the props! So good to know hard work and dedication is appreciated.
    Wilson Jackson is a really cool area but as a few of the guys mentioned you have to be really careful with water up there. Without a doubt subject to well quantity and quality on any acreage will be incredibly important!! I have all of the proper people lined up to do quantity and quality tests once we dig up well logs and records. Septics are a big one too, they are designed as a failure system and have a limited life span. A 40 year old septic field will most likely be on its last legs. Wilson Jackson is fairly new ( 2001 ) but I would still do a full septic inspection and dig up the D box, the last thing you want to deal with is putting in a $15,000 field! Water softeners with salt can eat your concrete tank, another one people overlook because the house is newer.

Let me know if I can help, I'll take super good care of you man!
    Brent 250-549-0023