Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving out of the lower mainland (need help)

Moving out of the lower mainland (need help)

Well; we have officially decided to move from the lower mainland to the Vernon area and looking for any pointers.

Looking for small acreage (2 - 5 acres) and have not decided if we want to buy a house or raw land and build, we want to have 2 separate residences.

The house would be the easier option but have no experience in what to look for in raw land, if anyone has any advice in what to look for in the area and questions to ask it would be greatly appreciated!!)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moving out of the lower mainland (need help)

contact brent stevenson = brentstevenson@shaw.ca

he's a realtor in the area - I shouldn't give you his info b/c now you're competing with me. just kidding.

brent has been really helpful. he knows the area well and is here on hbc.

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    contact brent stevenson = brentstevenson@shaw.ca

he's a realtor in the area - I shouldn't give you his info b/c now you're competing with me. just kidding.

brent has been really helpful. he knows the area well and is here on hbc.
    Thank You!!!

Quote Originally Posted by campking View Post
    Thank You!!!

Brent was great to deal with. We were on the way to moving up country but family issues popped up forcing us to stay down here, for now.

He will get you on the right track

Best advice I can give on buying land is thoroughly check out the water....That is number 1.

get a pontoon boat

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Best advice I can give on buying land is thoroughly check out the water....That is number 1.
    Great Thanks!

Vernon is definitely a skookum spot, but I'll second the warning/advice about water. The region's needs fall under the RDNO & they can't seem to get their **** together. Interior Health is partly to blame with the latest demands/rules/specifications on potable water quality. They've been borrowing plenty to upgrade the facilities & are far from done. I think they are in the process of revisiting the Master Water Plan since the last one was nixed by public referendum due to the amount of additional funds they wanted to borrow. We pay the highest rates in the Okanagan, can't wait to see my quarterly bill with the drought we've experienced this summer, trying to keep my little garden going. For most of the city there are 2 water sources, Kalamalka Lake, which is quite hard & Duteau Creek which is softer. They have the ability to switch sources to various users which can be helpful when one or the other source has seasonal turbidity issues. Some of the outlying areas are on different sources, I would definitely confirm what they are before committing to a purchase as they too can have issues.

http://www.rdno.ca/index.php/service...r-vernon-water
    Last edited by mike31154; 09-12-2017 at 10:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Yep, all about the water. We passed on a few nice plots of land that had no water access. A couple of my friends who do have water rights said they have been seeing a rise in their water usage fees. Guess they need to incorporate and call themselves Nestle in order to get cheap water.

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    Vernon is definitely a skookum spot, but I'll second the warning/advice about water. The region's needs fall under the RDNO & they can't seem to get their **** together. Interior Health is partly to blame with the latest demands/rules/specifications on potable water quality. They've been borrowing plenty to upgrade the facilities & are far from done. I think they are in the process of revisiting the Master Water Plan since the last one was nixed by public referendum due to the amount of additional funds they wanted to borrow. We pay the highest rates in the Okanagan, can't wait to see my quarterly bill with the drought we've experienced this summer, trying to keep my little garden going. For most of the city there are 2 water sources, Kalamalka Lake, which is quite hard & Duteau Creek which is softer. They have the ability to switch sources to various users which can be helpful when one or the other source has seasonal turbidity issues. Some of the outlying areas are on different sources, I would definitely confirm what they are before committing to a purchase as they too can have issues.

http://www.rdno.ca/index.php/service...r-vernon-water
    Thanks, I am finding most of the properties we are interested in (small acreages) are on wells and I know Jack **** about wells!