Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My First Moose

Re: My First Moose

Good job, I'm sure there's more to come.

Excellent. Thanks for sharing.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Bit more to the story.
    I woke up after a snooze and sat up and lo and behold there stood a Bull, cow and calf on the other side of the lake. I jumped in my boat and slowly cruised over. He looked up at me a few times but continued eating the new browse. I stopped the boat after sticking it on shore a bit and got set up for the shot. I swear everyone within 100 yards could hear my heart beating. First shot was a double lung shot. He ran and I nailed him in the front shoulder and then one behind the head and down he went. Took maybe 4 seconds for all this to happen. Then I watched to see if he got up for 20 minutes. Then I went back for the rest of the gang. The access to the moose we though would be to skirt around on the mainland and come out to him on the muskeg. Moose was shot at 7:15pm and we got to him at 8:30pm through the worst deadfall I could find. Now in the dark with headlamps on we set to gut this big guy in the muskeg. It took 2 of us just to pull his stuck rack out of the muskeg. We rolled him on his back and I gutted him. Sawed the brisket and the bone above his bladder and cracked him in half and pulled out the entrails. Accomplished that in less than an hour. Then in the dark with fading lights we set out to get back to the boat. That took over an hour and a half. Got turned around so many times it wasn't funny. Found some of my markers and got back to the boat and headed home. Then the next morning we set about getting him home and found that we could walk straight across the muskeg to the moose. I cut him up in 7 pieces and we packed him in a flat bottom boat and drug him out with the two 10 hp Honda outboards. 5 days later we still are reminiscing about the hunt. Moose is butchered and bagged. Split 8 ways. Close to 400 lbs of just meat, no bones. Good times.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Definitely a story you will reminisce over with your partners for a good long time.
    Congrats, hhhmmm love moose tacos.
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

congrates,reading your story brings back countless memories
    enjoy your meat it sounds like you defineately enjoyed your hunt

takla
    Pemby Quote: "Ah well ,cant be perfect" .... " sometimes i think that this tread is actually a wormhole to another dimension"

Beautiful nice moose

Being my first moose I shot, I made the mistake of shooting before thinking. I will never shoot another moose in the middle of a swamp. 8 hours to retrieve. I have learnt 20 feet off the road on the uphill side, don't even look down the downhill side. Aches galore but still happy.[/QUOTE]
    bigben

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    Lol, at least not in water. Thats my only rule! When you eat it you will forget the uphill roadside thing.
    Water though,,, makes it ugly

Why not water? I love hunting moose from a boat. moose float!

Congrats man! Looks like it made for a good time, the aches make the meat taste better!