Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moose Call vs Covering Ground

Moose Call vs Covering Ground

I have a draw starting October 1. The area I am hunting is not really known for big bulls. Most of the bulls will be 2-3 year olds guessing on what I have seen in the past. I have been practising my calling and am going to try and target some wetlands sloughs, cut blocks etc. Should I just be sticking with cow calls knowing the big bulls are not around and not wanting to scare the smaller guys away with bull draws? Looking for meat and do not care about rack size. My draw is from the 1st to 14th. How much of that time would you dedicate to calling as opposed to covering ground?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moose Call vs Covering Ground

Cow call to locate, and to get bulls coming in. You can throw in grunts when the bull is in the area but hanging up in the bush. Don't think that there won't be bigger bulls in the area just cuz you haven't seen them.

also is calling in morning vs night better or worse?

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    Cow call to locate, and to get bulls coming in. You can throw in grunts when the bull is in the area but hanging up in the bush. Don't think that there won't be bigger bulls in the area just cuz you haven't seen them.
    true there is always a chance, just wanting to maximise my chance of seeing a bull of any variety. Would that bull grunt spook off a smaller bull if thrown out there or would he think he is tough and come in?

IMO at that time more time should be given to calling, that time range from my experience is prime rut, and cow calling should work well

Cyrus..
    Send pm with ph number I will call.
    Great draw. ..easiest hunt in BC. .Oct 1..15..
    Cheers
    Steven Rupp

Calling lots in areas where you are finding fresh sign. If no fresh sign is move along to where you see fresh rubs tracks and droppings

Lol your over thinking it...lol
    Steven

I like to do a combo. Sitting in one spot all day can be cold and boring, so i will hike for a bit and when i get to a spot with a good vantage i will do a series of cow calls. Listen for a good bit, repeat. If i am moving through loud, thick brush i will call softly now and again so any bulls in the vicinity are not spooked by the noise. Usually i will have a swamp or lake as the destination of my hike and will call there for an hour or two.

This lets me cover ground and see where the sign is, keeps me warm, keeps me from being bored. In a good day i will cover 10+ km this way. Its a nice way to hunt until you kill a monster moose far from the truck.

And i never bull call, just cow calls for me.