Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Coastal Blacktail deer numbers? Trail cam footage/sign.

Re: Coastal Blacktail deer numbers? Trail cam footage/sign.

Do most of you hunt the chilliwack valley?

any Squamish or whistler area hunters here?
    ive been wanting to explore deeper but my hunting partner won’t go for blacktail.

caddisguy, hope she had a good recovery.

Just loaded a chubby spike buck into the truck this afternoon. Deer numbers are just so so this year IMO. I have been out a lot.

Well I switched things up this year for cam location. I only have two and found a super good looking spot that deserved a relocation. No fresh sign, except bear sign, but the place is loaded with rubs, both new and old. I counted 34(year old) rubs in the area no larger than 2 acres. I moved the cams up a month ago with salt and haven't been back since; don't plan on going back into that place until mid Nov. It's a totally new spot for me so I have no idea what I may be getting into. I figure the deer only use the spot during the rut along there way to their wintering ground.

Near by and at a higher elevation I've run into a pack of does that look to be holding tight to an area based on their sign; this was last weekend. If I get out this weekend I plan to work my way around and above them to see if I can find any more sign/deer and try to put together the pieces for this new spot/rut hole. I also hope I'm the only guy who knows about this spot right now.

Arrow Re: Coastal Blacktail deer numbers? Trail cam footage/sign.

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    ... Letcha know as it goes...
    Mr Bruin did not show his face yesterday.
    But he certainly did on one of the trail cams.
    Beat it so badly it stopped doing what it does.
    Going to HAVE to deal with that SOB!

One of the other cams had 137 videos. In a week. At one point 8 does and their wee ones (17 in the vid) were in the capture zone. Only two smallish bucks (a deuce and a spike) ever showed up, and the Ladies were putting the HARD run on them. Persistent little buggers, they needed to be driven off multiple occasions. Lots of footage of the various interactions of the Ladies' Social Club.
    The bear made one cameo appearance, and left that camera alone. Thakfully.

Going have to replace the one soon. Hopefully nail that damn boar the same time.

From what I see mid-Island, we got some waiting to do before The Prom gets officially announced...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

No luck for me today and my camera came up empty.. So
    I found fresh tracks and moved my camera to where they might be going in and out of a trail.

Here's one of the tracks I found on the road.
    I think its a pretty good size buck? Anyone have any input on this track. It was about 4 or so inches from the dewclaws to the front of the hooves.

I'll go back in two weeks hopefully before the snow gets too deep.

Hmmm big rounded off toes....who knows how big he is but could be old.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Crap. It looks like the blacktails will have to wait (and I hope they do just that)

caddisgirl isn't doing good at all. In addition to the back/neck/shoulder problems (from the ridge tumble or whatever caused it) they found she has a major kidney infection and "some other anomoly" they will need to do more tests to look into once the infection is clear, whatever the heck that means. Now she is on harder antibiotics (they thought UTI initially) and has lost 15lbs in the last few weeks. Sorry to derail, just worried as f*** and priorities switched.

I'll post a BT update if and when I get back out there.
    Sorry caddisguy- hope she gets/ feels better soon

Thumbs up Re: Coastal Blacktail deer numbers? Trail cam footage/sign.

... From what I see mid-Island, we got some waiting to do before The Prom gets officially announced...
    A week often makes a HUGE difference.
    Pulled the chips this am.

There is a Shooter in the house!! Actually several of them now.

The Big Boy is trying his tactics on the Leading Lady. To no avail yet, but damn soon now methinks!

Bear busted another cam. Pulled, and hot-wiring another for him now.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

A week often makes a HUGE difference.
    Pulled the chips this am.

There is a Shooter in the house!! Actually several of them now.

The Big Boy is trying his tactics on the Leading Lady. To no avail yet, but damn soon now methinks!

Bear busted another cam. Pulled, and hot-wiring another for him now.

Cheers,
    Nog

Is most of the action at night or are the buck starting to move during the day? Im heading out first thing in the am to an area where i have seen several doe's earlier in the season but was holding off on doing much hiking in the area.

Good luck out there!