Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying to the Queen Charlotte Islands

Flying to the Queen Charlotte Islands

This coming fall I will be flying to the islands to do some sick for deer hunting the airline says that you can't use the plastic ammo boxes they have to be wood or fiberboard has anyone actually Flown there and knows what they actually accept

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Flying to the Queen Charlotte Islands

Why not just take 15 mins to nail together a plywood ammo box for the trip and not worry about it?

Not understanding the need for an ammo box...just thrown the box of factory ammo in your checked bag. If you reload just throw some shells in a small box.
    KCCO

I have flown with Air Canada Jazz using the boxes that the ammo came in. (Cardboard/plastic)

just curious, what airline?

this is from Air Canada:
    Packing instructions

The firearm and the ammunition must not be packed in the same container.
    Ammunition must be packed in a separate, secure and strong container made of plastic, wood or metal. The original fibreboard carton can also be used but it’s recommended that the carton be placed in a secondary package such as a re-sealable plastic container.
    To avoid shock movement, the properly packaged ammunition must then be placed inside a suitcase and cushioned with clothing

West Jet:
    Ammunition must be:
    • Securely packaged and packed separately from the firearm, however it is permitted to be transported within the same container.
    • Carried in sturdy baggage not weighing more than 5 kg (11 lb.) gross weight per person (excluding ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles)
    • Packaged in the manufacturer's original container or an equivalent sturdy, durable container that provides sufficient cartridge separation

maybe smaller regional carriers have different rules, but seem odd
    Last edited by Ron.C; 09-10-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Pacific Coast air there's no other company that flies there as far as I know

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    Not understanding the need for an ammo box...just thrown the box of factory ammo in your checked bag. If you reload just throw some shells in a small box.

I hand load and they do not accept any box. I talked to them on the phone and the manager came on and was quite persistent and the manager came on told me plastic ammo boxes will not be accepted they must be fiberboard or wood. Last time I won't flew to the Charlotte's my buddy drove up and took the ferry and he took my firearm and ammo with him

Mike if you need a steel military ammo box let me know
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

Quote Originally Posted by lip_ripper00 View Post
    Mike if you need a steel military ammo box let me know
    Thanks buddy but I'm just trying to find out if I can find some Factory 7mm O8 boxes and use them. But the customers service department at the airport can't give me a definitive answer

Im heading up late September and am going to pack my ammo in wood box too. Apparently that is the rules with Pacific Coastal.