Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: My EBike Hunting Rig

Re: My EBike Hunting Rig

Did the OP ever connect and pack out an animal with his trailer I wonder?

OP can you post a review of how the bike withstood/performed in BC environments rain, mud, snow and packing out meat

can’t find much other than the bike being used in dry clear conditions

E-bikes are not designed to be self propelled....they have to be peddled and the e-motor only assists the pedaling ....

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    E-bikes are not designed to be self propelled....they have to be peddled and the e-motor only assists the pedaling ....
    Yup, that's the grey (gray??….get that!!lol) area.
    Don't work if you don't pedal....BUT....something makes it easier!!!???

That is awesome. I want!

It's times like this that I wonder what the great philosopher Jelvis would say?

I think that's a fine looking ebike and for certain that would be a nice way to hunt some situations. I really like the concept but it wouldn't work for me.

my problem would be: where do I stash it where it wont get stolen when I park it to walk...I wont even leave a coffee cup on the roadside for pick up later

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    There are e bikes that are 100% self propelled. One example would he the ebay kits that convert your mountain bike into an e bike.

Replaces you front or rear wheel with one that has a hub motor, add battery and you got an e bike, no pedal assist required.

Unfortunately I didn't get out much this year for hunting as I spent most of my vacation time up in the Yukon!

Last year I got out a fair bit with the bike and a lot of it was a learning experience! Good hunting weather is typically lousy cycling weather so having the right gear and clothing is essential, waking up in the morning when it's -10C and getting on the bike takes a bit more effort than getting into the quad. I ran into several members here that recognized my bike, I also ran into other hunters that thought I broke down and needed help.

I work with a lot of Firefighters that live to hunt and they told me that my bike would not be allowed on any road with a motorized vehicle ban so I'm not taking any chances, there are so many places to ride and hunt in BC anyways. I plan on using my eBike rig to get into more remote fishing lakes as well in 2019 besides just hunting.

The bike performed very well for what I wanted it to do, but if you ride it is only a matter of time before you have a wipeout, and having a $2500 rifle/scope mounted on the back I'm very cautious as to where and how I drop the bike and so far no damage, mounting the rifle on the handle bars as mentioned previously would have caused damage for sure and would not be safe navigating the narrower trails. I get about half of the distance while towing the trailer on gravel roads as compared to city riding so the extra batteries worked great, had to fire up the generator just the one time on a one week hunting trip to charge the batteries.

Lowering the tire pressure while on ice and snow makes a huge difference but I'll probably invest in studded tires for the extra traction. I replaced the stock chain ring on the bike to a smaller size so I lost a lot of high end speed but I gained much more torque!

EBike hunting is gaining in popularity, hopefully something will be written in the regs soon. My picture of my bike at the top of this thread is posted on his website and all over Alberta so you might see my bike for sale, I should ask for royalties.

Last edited by Laurp99; 12-23-2018 at 10:00 AM.

I have a high end U lock with a built in alarm system, it is very sensitive and very loud! This unit can be used for quads, motorcycles, bikes, etc......

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod144267