Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My EBike Hunting Rig

Re: My EBike Hunting Rig

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Additional comment.....
    There are ebikes that do self propel.
    They are recognized under the motor vehicle act and therefore not legal for fsr's that are designated as closed to motorized vehicles.

"POWER ASSIST" bikes are GOOD.
    SELF PROPELLED bikes are not.
    Cheers
    Ourea,

Wasn't trying to argue over it's "legalities etc.
    Firstly, it is a nice setup you have there.
    Believe me, I am getting older, and most my elk hunting thru the years has been with pedal bike, it would be nice to
    have something that made that situation for the future a little easier.
    At 5-8 grand ("Specialized" model), I don't see myself affording that for a 10 day hunt.
    (sounds like I would have to talk to you for better pricing...lol, just kidding).

I believe you when you say you researched it etc, and "spoke" with officials...I do.
    My only concern is, unless these bikes are "listed as exempt" from the restriction, I see issues down the road.
    You are left at the hands of an individual, in this case, a CO, and each one may look at ebikes interpretation differently.
    (just like comments on this thread...some say it's legit, and others say no, it's not)

So, really what needs to happen is that the ministry, whomever that is in regards to ploicies and restrictions, is going
    to "have to" put in writing, in the Hunting Regs, that it is either legal or not legal.

I sure as heck don't want to be out in the field, with one of those bikes, and have CO come by and tell me it is "illegal"
    Not so easy to just tell a CO "he's wrong"!
    Not going to go over to well...IMO, at that point in time.
    Next thing you know, your paying a fine, or off to court you go (something I cant afford either).

CO's don't like being stuck in the middle, and prefer to have things like this bike, in their books, to tell them it is legal.
    If they don't see it written in black and white, you end up being stuck with the CO's interpretation, and that can vary a lot.

This is something that the Ministry needs to look at, and then "put it in writing" in the Regs.
    Then I will trust it.
    Like they say...get it in writing..

Hope you understand where I am coming from.
    But again, didn't mean to take away from your OP about your setup and pics...
    Thanks for sharing that, nice setup, and believe me, I looked into them.
    They are F'n heavy though...atleast the full suspension models I looked at, at Dunbar Cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Ourea,

Wasn't trying to argue over it's "legalities etc.
    Firstly, it is a nice setup you have there.
    Believe me, I am getting older, and most my elk hunting thru the years has been with pedal bike, it would be nice to
    have something that made that situation for the future a little easier.
    At 5-8 grand ("Specialized" model), I don't see myself affording that for a 10 day hunt.
    (sounds like I would have to talk to you for better pricing...lol, just kidding).

I believe you when you say you researched it etc, and "spoke" with officials...I do.
    My only concern is, unless these bikes are "listed as exempt" from the restriction, I see issues down the road.
    You are left at the hands of an individual, in this case, a CO, and each one may look at ebikes interpretation differently.
    (just like comments on this thread...some say it's legit, and others say no, it's not)

So, really what needs to happen is that the ministry, whomever that is in regards to ploicies and restrictions, is going
    to "have to" put in writing, in the Hunting Regs, that it is either legal or not legal.

I sure as heck don't want to be out in the field, with one of those bikes, and have CO come by and tell me it is "illegal"
    Not so easy to just tell a CO "he's wrong"!
    Not going to go over to well...IMO, at that point in time.
    Next thing you know, your paying a fine, or off to court you go (something I cant afford either).

CO's don't like being stuck in the middle, and prefer to have things like this bike, in their books, to tell them it is legal.
    If they don't see it written in black and white, you end up being stuck with the CO's interpretation, and that can vary a lot.

This is something that the Ministry needs to look at, and then "put it in writing" in the Regs.
    Then I will trust it.
    Like they say...get it in writing..

Hope you understand where I am coming from.
    But again, didn't mean to take away from your OP about your setup and pics...
    Thanks for sharing that, nice setup, and believe me, I looked into them.
    They are F'n heavy though...atleast the full suspension models I looked at, at Dunbar Cycle.
    Agree 100 percent that ebikes, the various features, need to be clearly defined under the wildlife act.
    It is crystal clear under the motor vehicle act.
    They are not a motor vehicle if they are not capable of self propulsion.

Wildlife management is aware...they will bring definition and clarity at some point.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Additional comment.....
    There are ebikes that do self propel.
    They are recognized under the motor vehicle act and therefore not legal for fsr's that are designated as closed to motorized vehicles.

"POWER ASSIST" bikes are GOOD.
    SELF PROPELLED bikes are not.
    Cheers
    This sums it up ... It really can't be any clearer !

Nice!!!

Did you figure out a trailer braking system?
    Found a camo bike helmet yet?

http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registra...ric-bikes.aspx

Agree 100 percent that ebikes, the various features, need to be clearly defined under the wildlife act.
    It is crystal clear under the motor vehicle act.
    They are not a motor vehicle if they are not capable of self propulsion.

Wildlife management is aware...they will bring definition and clarity at some point.
    I do hope that make it clear quickly.
    I never like it when things like this come up, and they are made aware, but don't react...or wait.
    It really is unfair to the CO's to interpret (and hunters) out in the field.
    I only say this, because these bikes have been on previous threads, probably stemming back a year at least (if not longer),so someone in these ministries is aware of them (and as you have said, you have spoken to some of them)and yet the definition/interpretation/decision of these bikes and their legalities, has not made it into the books/regs.
    Always amazes me how things like this are just not dealt with in "swiftly manner".
    How hard can it be for them???...all they have to do is decide to declare them legal, and amend it in the online regs etc.
    If they decide to deem them illegal....they can do that swiftly as well.....although, then I can see it going to court at some
    point, which would leave the whole issue in "legal limbo" for a couple of years.

Anyways...enjoy it...looks like fun....and I hear they really do make uphill climbs a breeze.
    I hear guys down here that run "free ride" up at Seymour that have these bikes are "helping to tow up" the other guys
    who usually have to push up on foot.
    So now, instead, of only getting to get 2 rides in all day, they get several in.

Sweet rig! One of the coolest setups I've seen. I've been mulling over the whole e-bike idea... I'll be looking forward to your report after the hunt. Good luck!
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Here is a closer look at the Scabbard, everything fits like a glove, nice and securely.
    The rifle sits at an angle so you can get off the bike without kicking it. I also have a camo rifle cover to protect the rifle from the elements as it will be very exposed during transport.

Setting up blinds or a tree stand deep in the bush far away from others is now a lot more easier and it won't take half a day to get there!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurp99 View Post
    Here is a closer look at the Scabbard, everything fits like a glove, nice and securely.
    The rifle sits at an angle so you can get off the bike without kicking it. I also have a camo rifle cover to protect the rifle from the elements as it will be very exposed during transport.

Setting up blinds or a tree stand deep in the bush far away from others is now a lot more easier and it won't take half a day to get there!

Back to the point.

Nice set up
    Look forward to ur actual ride in and out.....how the weight distribution, battery duration etc played out.
    Uber cool post.

I have only demoed ebikes with a pack.....never with a trailer.
    Hope you keep this thread alive with updates.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

I was contemplating something like that but they aren't allowed in the road closures, all motorized modes of transport are banned. Electric included. It is a very spectacular set up though.

Quote Originally Posted by jtred View Post
    I was contemplating something like that but they aren't allowed in the road closures, all motorized modes of transport are banned. Electric included. It is a very spectacular set up though.
    here we go again...
    ebikes that are not self propelled are 100% legal as they do not qualify as a motor vehicle.