Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My EBike Hunting Rig

Re: My EBike Hunting Rig

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    Do you consider this a motorized vehicle?
    For now, but I seriously doubt it will in the future....
    1st time in court and the ministry will probably change that to include peddle assist in the ban.

Just remember that even on a pedal bike it is illegal to have a loaded firearm.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

That's a sweet set up. Can't wait to see a pic or two with a critter in the trailer.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

guest Guest

Great looking set up..... Good on ya thinking outa the Box. Can't wait to see it loaded with a critter.

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    I know where you're going, and I believe pedal assisted power bikes are accepted for use on road closures, but full electric bikes/vehicles are not.
    Not exactly a straight fwd answer to that one. When I asked the CO service about the legality of e-bike in VCA for hunting areas, I was fwd'd to a regulations and policy analyst and this is the answer I received

Thank you for your email dated August 4, 2017, regarding the use of E-bikes within areas where the operation of motor vehicles are restricted. Your enquiry has been forwarded to me for response.

In the provincial Wildlife Act a Motor Vehicle is defined as:

"motor vehicle" means a device in, on or by which a person or thing is being or may be transported or drawn, and which isdesigned to be self propelled, and includes an atv or snowmobile, but does not include
    (a) a devicedesigned to be moved by human, animal or wind power,
    (b) a device designed to be used exclusively on stationary rails or stationary tracks, or
    (c) a boat propelled by motorized power;

E-bikes are not specifically referenced in this definition, and to my knowledge there has been no precedence set through the courts on the subject, as such it is difficult to provide a clear answer to your question. This response is solely based on my interpretation of the regulation as it is currently written.

E-bikes are designed to be both self propelled and moved by human power; they meet the definition of a motor vehicle (designed to be self propelled), and are not included in the definition of motor vehicle (a device designed to be moved by human power). I don’t think the law makers of the day considered that devices would be designed in the future that both meet and are excluded from the definition. Further complicating the matter are the various designs of E-bikes/scooters and their relative reliance on either battery or human power.

There are variables that could be factors in determining whether these types of vehicles could be used within an area subject to motor vehicle restrictions/prohibitions. For example, if a bike is not capable of propelling itself without the use of human power (i.e. the battery is charged by the rotation of the pedals) it may not be considered “self propelled” and may not meet the definition of a motor vehicle. However, if a bike does not require human assistance to move it (i.e. the battery is charged at home and the pedals simply augment the movement of the bike) it could be considered “self propelled” and meet the definition of a motor vehicle.

I’ve used terms like “may” and “could” liberally, as described above there is no clear reference to these types of devices in theWildlife Act. However, I’ll take the liberty of more certainty when speaking to the objectives of these motor vehicle regulations. There are numerous types of motor vehicle restrictions/prohibitions in the province, but they can be put into two categories: year round/seasonal motor vehicle prohibitions and motor vehicle prohibitions for the purpose of hunting.

Generally (if not always) a full prohibition on the use of motor vehicles, either seasonally or year round, is in place to protect habitat. These can apply to specific lines (i.e. roads, trails) or polygons (i.e. watersheds, alpine areas). Whenever operating a vehicle/device in the province the operator should be These hybrid vehicles probably don’t compromise the objective of these regulations to any great extent, provided the device is operated in a manner that takes habitat values (soils, vegetation, etc.) into consideration.

The rational for Motor Vehicle for Hunting Closed Areas is generally social or to reduce harvest pressure in a specific area. In some areas access has increased in recent years which makes wildlife more vulnerable, motor vehicle for hunting closures are a tool in these situations to reduce hunter access into these areas that were previously inaccessible by a motor vehicle. They are also in place to provide a diversity of hunting experiences (i.e. a road where they can walk, bike, or horseback into without seeing a quad every couple of kms). These E-bikes may compromise the objective of these regulations.

It is my recommendation that an E-bike not be used in areas where motor vehicles are prohibited or restricted, however I am unable to state whether they are prohibited by law.

Regards,

E bikes are good to go in restricted areas deemed closed for motorized vehicles.
    Period.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Would suck to spend the money, only to have a CO ruin your day.
    It might be legal, but, depending what CO you get, it might fall on deaf ears.
    Something the ministry will have to decide I suppose, to either list it as legal or not legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    E bikes are good to go in restricted areas deemed closed for motorized vehicles.
    Period.
    Not trying to initiate or interested in a pissing contest. I thought they were legal as well. But it appears it is not quite that simple given the information I was provided. I was unable to find a written law or definition within the wildlife act, hence why I sent the email to the CO service.

If you have information or a reference stating they are legal for use in VCA for the purpose of hunting, please share your facts.

to the OP,

that's a sweet rig!!!!
    Last edited by Ron.C; 09-10-2017 at 06:45 PM.

I did a market assessment on ebike opportunities for a European bike company that is engaging the North American market.
    In initial due diligence I explored niche market opportunities.
    Being a hunter I met with enforcement, both RCMP and the Conservation Office.......thumbs up.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Now that is a cool set up good luck hunting.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.