Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Badass coolers

Badass coolers

I hate my cheap ass Coleman coolers. Beer ends up warm by day 3 in the summer, and even in the winter they don't keep stuff cold, or they leak, or the lid pops open and yardsales my beer and bacon.

So I've been looking at the high-end coolers. Yeti, Rtic, grizzly, even the Ozark trail high performance ones are surprisingly well reviewed.

So what are you guys using? I don't want to build my own, but I was thinking about maybe poking a few holes and spraying low-e foam into one I already own, see if I can turn up the r value a bit.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Badass coolers

You know, I had the same debate about 2 months ago. After a fair amount weighing pros and cons of the higher end coolers, I decided to stick with Coleman and looked to their Xtreme series, buying two of the 120 qt ones. Ultimately for me, I couldn't justify the 3x-4x cost multiple for the incremental extra performance of the high end coolers.

If money wasn't a factor though, I think I would go with Yeti or Grizzly. Good luck with your decision! The good news is most guys who have bought the real high end coolers seem to back them up that they last forever for the most part.

I was on the fence for a long time also and then had the luxury of going on a trip with a hunting buddy who had a Yeti 75. I was blown away - it worked amazing. My Igloo cooler was a melted mess after about 3 days and his was in amazing condition, ice wise, inside. The coolers are heavy and the insides are smaller due to the wall thickness but it is unbeatable in my opinion. I went out and spent the bucks on one myself and haven't looked back.
    Tick tock, tick tock...waiting for hunting season...

Buy a pelican, costco had them for 300$. They work well, you'll want two. A bit cheaper than yeti etc....

Bought the Cambodian Tire Wood's Rotomold 80l when it was on sale. Great cooler, works way better than our Coleman and Igloo. Only compliant is the lack of external handles, the handles on this cooler are built in and are not the easiest to use when the cooler is full!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

I bought a Pelican 65 in tan online a few years back. It's super sturdy and keeps ice really well. I found a camera website that also sold coolers. They had a sale and I got a deal on it.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

After going through ice in a weekend with the cheap Coleman coolers, I bought their stainless higher end one a few years ago and what a difference!!!...three blocks of ice placed across in the bottom and I still have at least half sized blocks left after a full 7 days now... would still like to try a Yeti 110 they are really nice.

I just bought Meadowcraft 45L. The company I work for is a dealer. I haven't used it yet, it seems totally badass! I'm thinking about getting the 20L model as well. I get a wicked deal on them since I am an employee, but the price of a Meadowcraft cooler is way cheaper than a Yeti. The 45L at our store retails for $325. The Yeti at MEC is going for $560!
    https://bestcooler.reviews/meadowcra...eview-vs-yeti/

Here is my 150qt igloo I bought from canadain tire ,on sale for $100 a few years ago...

I call it my poor mans Engel...

I've posted this a few times before, people have copied it, and told me that it has worked great for them!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cooler.jpg  
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

I have two Coleman Marine extreme 6 day coolers - 150 quart. By themselves they are suprisingly good. My DIY modifications to get them ever better are:

- Velcro "latches" to keep the cooler lid tight
    - Reflectix outside cover (all 4 sides)
    - Heavy wool blanket draped over to keep out of direct sunlight (even if they physically sit in direct sunlight)

Doing this, I'm able to keep block ice in my cooler for days. Most recently, I left one of the coolers in my truck canopy on opening weekend for 4 days in 30-35 degree heat and came back to 80% ice.
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.