Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning goat hide for tanning

Cleaning goat hide for tanning

I'm in the middle of fleshing and then salting but before salting should I give the coat a wash. It died in wet sand and is grey. Shouldn't gently hose and then air dry then salt tomorrow. It let tanner deal with

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Cleaning goat hide for tanning

I was told by my taxerdermy buddy that goat hair isn't porous and won't stain easily. I've washed fresh goat capes in rivers and let them dry but conditions allowed for cool drying.

Never done a goat hide myself but sand should not stain the hair. Shake it out and then get salt on it asap.

Do not salt if your going to freeze. If you have to freeze don't salt just freeze ASAP

^^^^^ This. Salt stops the hide from freezing. It can rot over time in your freezer.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Since you are posting, then I imagine you are back home. In that case, don't salt, just freeze. Don't worry about cleaning or fleshing it, the taxidermist will do that. Salting before freezing will impede the freezing process. Salt freezes at a much lower temperature, and so you don't want to do that. In addition, if you are going to store it in your freezer for a while before getting it to your taxidermist, then make sure it is open in the middle, ie don't have it rolled into a tight ball, allow it to freeze throughout evenly.

If you were up the mountain and were worrying about when you were going to get out, then for sure, flesh it and salt it. I have also re-used salt by scraping it off the hide and drying it in the sun, once it becomes wet on the cape. But, best to take lots of salt, then you won't have that problem. I have washed the cape off in streams to get the blood off, but that just makes them really wet and heavy, and so, takes more time to dry. In the mountains, it depends on how many days until you get out. You may have to turn the ears and the lips if it is more than 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert Retired View Post
    Since you are posting, then I imagine you are back home. In that case, don't salt, just freeze. Don't worry about cleaning or fleshing it, the taxidermist will do that. Salting before freezing will impede the freezing process. Salt freezes at a much lower temperature, and so you don't want to do that. In addition, if you are going to store it in your freezer for a while before getting it to your taxidermist, then make sure it is open in the middle, ie don't have it rolled into a tight ball, allow it to freeze throughout evenly.

If you were up the mountain and were worrying about when you were going to get out, then for sure, flesh it and salt it. I have also re-used salt by scraping it off the hide and drying it in the sun, once it becomes wet on the cape. But, best to take lots of salt, then you won't have that problem. I have washed the cape off in streams to get the blood off, but that just makes them really wet and heavy, and so, takes more time to dry. In the mountains, it depends on how many days until you get out. You may have to turn the ears and the lips if it is more than 3 days.
    what he said, also post pics and story please!!

Who wants to recommend taxi? My guy says he wants fleshed and salted first? So won't take yet

Well, Steelpulse, then I would freeze your cape and do a real good search for a good "taxi" or Taxidermist. Put that guy on hold. Sounds to me like your guy is asking too much, and in that case, is likely not knowing what he is doing himself. There are some awesome taxidermists in this Province. I see from your profile you are from Kamloops, so ask at the local Wholesales Sports, or look on-line, get some reviews. A trophy like that is usually a once in a lifetime (possibly twice, if you are a sucker like me), but for sure you don't want to screw this up.

Freezing in am. I've fleshed 90% may give a wash tonight dry tomorrow and freeze