Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpine Mule Blues

Alpine Mule Blues

This laughable amateur just came back from a 5 day stint around Carpenter Lake/Relay creek without seeing a single deer in the alpine. FML. I'm so pissed that I'm dropping everything, calling in dead to work, and heading back up there Sunday for another attempt. My soul wont rest on this. I need to make F#&*ing eye contact with a 4pt buck, hunting goal #1.

Let me preface all of this by saying that this was my first ever attempt at a solo alpine hunt, and I probably did everything wrong, including being too frightened to sleep in the alpine due to grizz (shit was everywhere). So every morning I'd do a two hour hike up what felt like 90 degree angled shale slopes, loud as all hell from the glassy sounding rocks grinding under my feet and tumbling hundreds of feet below... and head back down in the evening to sleep next to my truck. Prime hunting time completely ruined due to commutes. I realized this wasn't working so I tried to change my tactic and glass from below at first light and last light, actually all damned day. Still nothing. Was it the heat? Was it the full moon? Was I in the wrong areas? I was next to burns, I was next to drainages with seeps and streams, even some cut blocks, but nothing... Trying to manage my scent in the wind, glassing what looked like beddy areas and game trails... So many thoughts, so many questions, so much to learn. Most prevalent thought was that I wish I had a mentor.

So this restless heart is going back at it on Sunday around Carpenter Lake and/or Yalakom valley - and wanting to try this from a different angle... but I need your wisdom and guidance. Anything helps.

Thanks,
    Eva

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Alpine Mule Blues

Did you see sign of deer? I hunted goat in the area and seen minimal deer. I personally think you efforts would have found better success in another location, but your in the right track. Start climb in the dark, head lamp. Good luck
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Keep trying!

Find me a 3/4 curl while in there! Good luck and safe hunting

Yup, sounds like you have good character and effort...as said above, sign sign sign....if there was that much bear sign around, maybe that's a start to why you didn't see any deer..

I've never had good luck around a full moon....just gotta put in the time, and maybe wake up 2 hours earlier to start your hike

I found that area to hold respectable numbers when I lived locally
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Buy the ebook high country mulies by mike Easton off of amazon,
    read that book before Sunday.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

With the temperatures we've had the deer may be back in the Timber on the North and East sides where it's cooler during the day for bedding, one thing I found about mature Mule Deer bucks is they moved out of the Alpine into the Timber right at first light, I would say camp in the Alpine so your that much closer to glassing at first light.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Depending on how downdrafts and updrafts worked out, it is possible that your scent might have foiled you. Bivouacking on the alpine away from your intended hunting area/drainage/bowl is the best idea. You want to see the bucks moving at first light, especially the big mature ones, and the best way to do that is to be on the alpine at first light, having made as little noise and movement as possible. They'll mostly hold up in the timber or any pockets of trees in the alpine during the day.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Dry year = little water in the alpine.

Might want to look lower down, closer to remaining water sources. Also don't be afraid to hunt the thicker timber on the north faces where it's a bit cooler.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !