Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gordon Setter / English Setter breeders

Gordon Setter / English Setter breeders

Hello.
    Member for a couple of months after finally moving up to BC (Quadra Island). Have been reading and enjoying the forum and was hoping for some help and advice. As mentioned, recently moved and with more free time (retired as well), I'm looking for a puppy/started young dog. I was hoping for a Gordon but I can't find any breeders in BC. I've talked to folks in the States (Idaho and Oregon) as well as back East (ON) but nothing in province. Does anyone know of a person breeding Gordons or English setters? I'm not interested in a show dog, just a friendly, versatile companion to spend time with afield. Any advice is appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Gordon Setter / English Setter breeders

Clearcut Kennels. Not sure where they are but it was a quick google search.
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

I just put out a poke - I know someone with a pup. Checking to see where he got his.

My contact got his out of Setter Meadows in MN. There is a guy and his wife I've seen on the field trial circuit with 3 gordon's. I thought they were from Vancouver Island.

I thought I would like Gordon's better. I didn't think they were as pretty in person as in pix.

But then - I've got a GWP - a girl with a beard so what do I know!?

Another breed to look at is a Llewellin Setter. They are a hardcore version of an English Setter. I would think you can probably get some good advice about breeders from the field trial guys.

"Another breed to look at is a Llewellin Setter. They are a hardcore version of an English Setter."

Thats the way I would go. I like the
    Llewellin lines in the English setter great dogs.

Great stuff and much appreciated. The guy in Idaho I talked with was quite nice (and written up in Shooting Sportsman and Gun Dog mags). I was just hoping there was a breeder in province. Are there any Llewellin breeders in BC (btw, I've heard that "sub-breed" is prone to hip troubles??)? I'm just getting back into birds and bird dogs after mis-spending my middle years in career pursuits. Any other thoughts or tips would be great as well. Thanks so much for the help.

Great English Setter breeder on the island.

Trendsetter Farms - Brian Robinson

Brian is a great guy and has English setters but he does not breed them.

"BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.