Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is This is a Spike Fork Bull Moose?

Is This is a Spike Fork Bull Moose?

So "no more than 2 tines on one side" - definition of spike fork bull moose.

If you saw this in the field, would you shoot or pass? I am not sure if that protruding tine is less than an inch.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Is This is a Spike Fork Bull Moose?

Quote Originally Posted by DeepJeep View Post
    If you saw this in the field, would you shoot or pass? I am not sure if that protruding tine is less than an inch.
    You answered your own question.

If you're not sure, don't shoot. Period.

I've let quite a few bulls walk away that had questionable 3rd points. A few I'm 95% sure were legal, but that 5% doubt kept me from dropping the hammer. I have no regrets, and do have the satisfaction of sharing an exciting story with friends around the campfire on each encounter.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

I doubt that that nub is a full inch. That being said, I wouldn't take that chance. I'd let it pass, even though I think its legal.

I would pass for sure.

Just wanted others' opinion...

I would say yes. The left antler has has 3 legal tines on it, but the right antler looks to have only 2 legal tines. That small bump wouldn't meet the legal definition of a 'tine' according to the regs (see pg. 5 of the Regs). He looks tasty legal!!
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltbullken View Post
    I would say yes. The left antler has has 3 legal tines on it, but the right antler looks to have only 2 legal tines. That small bump wouldn't meet the legal definition of a 'tine' according to the regs (see pg. 5 of the Regs). He looks tasty legal!!
    Moose are huge. 1 inch is tiny. Perspective is difficult on a pic like that.

It probably isn't a tine. The only thing for sure is that bull would be, as you say, very delicious.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

A tine must be longer than it is wide. From that I would say it is a shooter. Now in the field with it moving could you judge that??? from the picture it is a shooter, in the field I would pass...

Quote Originally Posted by tinhorse View Post
    A tine must be longer than it is wide. From that I would say it is a shooter. Now in the field with it moving could you judge that??? from the picture it is a shooter, in the field I would pass...
    Agree. In the field would pass but in the photo it's legal.

That little bump on the moose's right side must not be more than an inch long as measured in the synopsis.

From the picture,which is a good one, I fur sure can't say if it is +/- an inch, however, the antlers fall within the intent of the regulation. That being a yearling/non-breeder.

The conservation officer will undoubtedly measure and if it is 1.1" by his/her measure you are fooked. Sure the officer has the law behind him/her and does not have to apply any reasoning to it......just right you up for $$$, they may confiscate the animal (if in an ambitious mood) or just take you money and dignity.

The regulation , in my opinion, should reflect the reality. Which is this 'tine' is immeasurable on a living/conscious animal.

Better yet set the 3rd tine length that can be measured in the field on a living animal , either by eye or an eye aided by an optic, the length being readily discerned. The length would be set by field testing by several different testers to get an average.

Much better for the animal, as a pass would be easily determined. Also, the officer should be able to make a decision to allow even if the tine length is a bit over.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Tough to tell on that angle, but it really doesn't look like that "tine" is any where near longer than its breadth, and not being longer than it's breadth means it is not a point regardless of its length.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.