Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is This is a Spike Fork Bull Moose?

Re: Is This is a Spike Fork Bull Moose?

Quote Originally Posted by BCBRAD View Post
    That little bump on the moose's right side must not be more than an inch long as measured in the synopsis.

From the picture,which is a good one, I fur sure can't say if it is +/- an inch, however, the antlers fall within the intent of the regulation. That being a yearling/non-breeder.

The conservation officer will undoubtedly measure and if it is 1.1" by his/her measure you are fooked. Sure the officer has the law behind him/her and does not have to apply any reasoning to it......just right you up for $$$, they may confiscate the animal (if in an ambitious mood) or just take you money and dignity.

The regulation , in my opinion, should reflect the reality. Which is this 'tine' is immeasurable on a living/conscious animal.

Better yet set the 3rd tine length that can be measured in the field on a living animal , either by eye or an eye aided by an optic, the length being readily discerned. The length would be set by field testing by several different testers to get an average.

Much better for the animal, as a pass would be easily determined. Also, the officer should be able to make a decision to allow even if the tine length is a bit over.
    The definition of a tine is a little more detailed than as you describe. Read the Regs on definition of a tine.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

No hmmmmming" about it..

BANG FLOP..for me Personaly. .if your not sure don't shoot..not going to be better photo. .tip against white snow..

cheers

Steven

That's a legal animal. No questions, I would take it!

I was just trying to get some practise via google. lol...
    googled spike fork moose and tried to test myself.
    I would pass but like others have mentioned, it is probably legal.

Using a [in theory] "known" - a moose's eye is 40mm/4cm/1.57 inches. So would be legal based on using the eye as a guide . . .

^^ good perspective.

if you had as clear a view in the field as you do in that picture, no question he's a shooter imo

the eyeballs on the moose I've shot have measured roughly 4-4.5cm in diameter, I've also read an adult moose eyeball is up to 2"/5cm diameter...given that you don't see the full diameter of an intact eye, roughly 1/2 to 2/3, I use the eye ball as a reference to size up questionable tines in the field....if it's roughly same length, legal point provided it meets the rest of the criteria...if it's clearly under, as in the original photo, not a legal point

5 seconds to make the call, I wouldn't shoot...but most of my harvested big game animals I've watched for several minutes or longer before shooting, my first spike fork I watched for 20 mins before I was confident to pull the trigger....I really don't think spike forks are the unicorns many claim them to be (at least not in 7a/b, maybe areas with poor calf recruitment), when you start glassing every single cow you see, they often sprout tiny spikes very fast lol
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Quote Originally Posted by VFX_man View Post
    Using a [in theory] "known" - a moose's eye is 40mm/4cm/1.57 inches. So would be legal based on using the eye as a guide . . .
    beat me to it, good method to field judge
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

The "breadth" of the tine in that photo is deceiving.

Look more closely, and you'll see what looks to be the edge of the antler is actually part of his right ear.

It's not as wide as first glance makes it appear...

That's why you have to watch for a long time, with good optics, and allow the moose to turn his head for different angles.

I had a similar scenario to the one mentioned above, where what looked like a 2 point at first glance was actually a 4 point when a new angle was presented.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Ltbullken View Post
    The definition of a tine is a little more detailed than as you describe. Read the Regs on definition of a tine.
    Fully aware of the criteria that makes up a tine, on a moose. The point is 1/10th of an inch can put you in non-compliance. Most can not make that visual measurement with 100% certainty.

The issue is when there is 3 tines on one side and 2 on the other, the tine by regulation may not be seen or determined to be 0.9".

So over the years I have probably passed on a legal animal, just to avoid the
    BallShit of 1/10th of an inch.

However, I have taken many yearling bulls under a big bull tag, some were 3x3, some 2 one side small palmation on the other, some were 3x2 and the sticker which were more than an inch by a bit or under.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @