Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear grease...

Bear grease...

Anyone have any favorite recipes using bear grease? I have about 4 gallons rendered from the weekend. It has almost no taste, so no berry flavour at all. My beagle LOVED the cracklins. Me, not so much. Got any other recipes besides deep fry?
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bear grease...

My sister inlaw has made pie's with bear lard and she says it makes the beast pastries. I believe by brother double rendered it. Fall bear that had been feeding on salal berries.

How long will bear grease keep?
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

I render it with every bear, put it in mason jars and keep it in the fridge. It always lasts to the next bear, anyway, so pencil in a year. I use it for cooking. Everytime you'd use cooking oil I use bear fat.

I even use it in secret when I'm cooking for vegans. It's just that good.

I also use it to waterproof my boots. In fact, I like it so much its the real reason I shoot a bear.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Use it any place you would use lard or oil to fry something in. I use it for cooking eggs, greasing pans, roasting potatoes, whatever.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    How long will bear grease keep?
    One reason the pioneers loved it so much is that it is able to keep months, unrefrigerated, without going rancid. I have now tried a few fried items, going to try fries next. Fried eggs were great and the grease didn't taste or feel greasy, if that makes sense...

not culinary use, but you can predict weather with bear grease: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJaGqM-zBNc

also during 1700-1800's people used bear grease for muskets - highly desired. I read old books and stories of guys shooting 200 and more bears per year. I think Thomas Jefferson was one of those guys.
    Mike Rowe: Don't follow your passions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVEuPmVAb8o
    The Unconquered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q88AkN1hNYM
    History of Poland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DrXgj1NwN8
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance" - James Madison

"also during 1700-1800's people used bear grease for muskets - highly desired. I read old books and stories of guys shooting 200 and more bears per year. I think Thomas Jefferson was one of those guys."

Sounds like Ontario when they cancelled their spring hunt and then reinstated after the population exploded...

My father in law said he used to grease his boots with the bear lard, until he went to a party and a dog ate his boots!