Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grandby River Whitetail Count

Grandby River Whitetail Count

Granby River Deer Count 2017

On August 31, 2017, Wildlife Biologists conducted a spotlight ground count from a vehicle of white-tailed deer along the Granby River north of Grand Forks. The survey followed the route established in 1999, starting at the junction of the Granby Rd and Valley Heights Dr travelling north up the east side of the Granby River crossing over the Granby River onto the Brown Ck bridge, then down the west side to Hardy Mtn road and over Hardy Mtn terminating at the junction of Reservoir and Canning Rd (Figure 1).

The survey started at 7:58 pm and ended at 10:25pm with the weather mild and clear. This year’s count represents the 12th count over a 13 year period. We observed 222 white-tailed deer while spotlighting agricultural fields and riparian areas. The 2017 count was higher than the previous years but was within normal range for the survey (Table 1).

Table 1: The total count of white-tailed deer observed along the Granby River north of Grand Forks between 1999 and 2017.

Historic Counts:

Year Count
    1999 234
    2004 204
    2005 163
    2006 140
    2007 115
    2008 146
    2009 134
    2010 166
    2011 143
    2012 132
    2013 146
    2014 156
    2016 121
    2017 222
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grandby River Whitetail Count

Thats an impressive increase. Is that conincidence or are numbers actually rising?

Healthy numbers for that smaller area...one only has to drive through Grand Forks to see how whitetails will overpopulate an area when left relatively unchecked..it would be nice if they opened up some bow hunting zones in that town..

I don't know where this is but what kind of km distance is it that they are driving?

Could they be at the valley bottom due to fires???

Looks like the population is back to normal after a 20 year down turn. If the population was at 350 that would be an impressive increase.

All the count tells us is that the number in the area is higher than normal. The immediate thought is the numbers are great and increasing. Based on the year I am hesitant to believe that. I think DeepJeep has a great point; the fields along the valley bottom are most likely irrigated and therefore providing an area of more plentiful feed and water resulting in deer moving down to the food source. Could be other reasons. The counts are a great tool, but I think this years results need to be considered with a lot of caution and the long term numbers considered rather than one abnormal year. A very important reason to continue the counts. Nothing is normal in the woods this summer.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

The problem with the count is it is done on valley bottom farmers fields. No hunting allowed on almost 100% of the area. With the very dry summer deer were close to the river for water. You will not find numbers as healthy once leaving the no hunting valley bottoms.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    The problem with the count is it is done on valley bottom farmers fields. No hunting allowed on almost 100% of the area. With the very dry summer deer were close to the river for water. You will not find numbers as healthy once leaving the no hunting valley bottoms.
    good point....

Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    Annual counts are based on repeatability. Do the same count every year, year after year, in the same location, with the same methods. It isn't about finding animals on Crown vs private or a huntable population vs a relatively protected population. The count is about wildlife and the health/numbers in a population. Yes, these counts do have dependencies on other criteria, heat, water, forage quality. So they are only a guide, but counting more animals is a good sign.