Thread: Semi successful first hunting season

Semi successful first hunting season

Just spent 5 days in regions 2 & 3 with the stick and string, the dry heat seems to have had pretty much everything hunkered down where I was, even in the alpine. Didn't see one legal deer the whole trip and just finally ran into the first bear of the trip this morning...just a small one but had a nice coat, tried to put a stalk on it but lost it in the timber at just over 40 yards. This was my first hunting trip ever and I feel like I learned a lot and located some good spots for next season if the weather is a bit more productive. Did manage to harvest my first animal this time around and I'm super proud even though it's no velvet 4 point and it's about 15 years late, better late than never right? My uncle did a lot of moose hunting when I was a kid but unfortunately my dad never picked up the skills to pass on to me so I'm trying to learn as much as possible in order to pass the knowledge down to my son who is now 8 and super excited about getting out in the bush himself in a few years. Will definitely be going out again next opportunity I get and am looking for any help I can get, will help pack out meat in exchange for experience whether it's bow or rifle hunting. Good luck this season boys, hopefully it cools down sooner than later!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grouse1-01.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	6458  

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Semi successful first hunting season

Awesome freezer You've got the right attitude its just a matter of time. Very tough conditions so dry and crunchy most movement is going to be at night for a bit. Keep getting out there and keep the good attitude it will pay off. A big plus of the whole deal is getting out and enjoying the day and being in tune with the natural world connecting on your first deer will likely take a while, don't sweat that just keep on enjoying the experience. Tip of the day - wait for rain. LOL seriously, tough sledding right now..
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Thanks Freezer for the good story. It takes a lot of dedication to get out when the weather is so hot. A grouse with the bow is fun and I bet a tasty treat at camp. Your buck will come no doubt in my mind! Happy hunting my friend.

Sounds like you are 100% on the right path. Great attitude.

Grouse with a bow is a ton of fun. Glad you connected. Your son will be joining you sooner than you can imagine.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Good stuff Freezer, you've got the right additude...above all, stay safe and keep having fun...try and get your boy out as much as possible now, sure he can't shoot anything yet if he's 8 but he can sure accompany you..

I also started out on my own. The adventure is just getting out there. Read and learn the animals habits and success with follow. Now 40 years later I teach others from hunting to butchering. Calling in your first buck, bear or bull moose is adrenalin over the top too. I'm too chicken to hunt in grizzly country with a stick and string.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"