Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Forced to Creston

Re: Forced to Creston

Firstly, we don't have a "political party" that really does right for any "average joe".
    Yes, the Libs worked with people who helped fund there campaigns, or lets face it, threw them money under the table.
    NDP...well shit...I could tell you some stories of them personally (private life), and again, they act like they care...
    but it will cost us a fortune...as again, they want to support the "minority population" of BC.
    In other words...give more away, and we, the average joe, pay more taxes in the end.
    There is no party for the "average joe".
    So, deer are wimpering/dwindling in population...well...what are we to do...????
    Make more regulations, which haven't helped (the past history should be a great example).

Now, I agree, maybe we should limit the amount of mulies (lets say) that one can take in a season.
    Then atleast, a hunter can't go to one region, and then head off to another the next week.
    I am good with that!
    Hunters, if they just enjoy hunting, will become "selective" for that "elusive trophy buck"
    Other hunters will still bang/flop a deer for meet, and that season is over.
    Then we can open up all the regions, with no closures, and "not restrict ourselves" any further.
    But, if someone gets an elk tag, who cares if he takes it in the EK or WK...he/she only gets 1.
    If it gets bad in the WK, hunters move on elsewhere (not all, but some).
    Some may go to EK again or Peace or wherever they will they may find better success.
    What I am saying is...it will all "work out in the wash".
    But lets stop help restricting ourselves....because that is what is happening.

It's like some here have their own "honeyhole", and don't want anyone else to even attempt to explore in case they just
    happen to find out....because it was open.

We should be screaming about habitat...or predator control...or certain groups given "special exemptions"!!
    Come on guys....your not looking at the failed attempts of the past...for years now (maybe too young for some to know any better??)

Great that everyone wants a voice to be heard...but some are screaming continuously in the wrong direction!

I used to be anyone could go hunting...ask a friend, go to the store, pick up rifle/scope and ammo for under 50, and buy a few tags and off we go!
    Lot more game back then, even with all those folks out there!
    So...stop...ask yourself whats changed....
    Progress...in the form of "development" and more an more private land", and changes with lack of pred control or burns.
    That's whats changed!
    I know how to hunt, but it sure is weird to see all that game on famlands now...not in the high country any longer.
    (Mulies on the highway, not in the alpine, mid august??etc).

Look at the states, like Oregon, way more hunters down there, way less land....but they, the hunters seem to be happy.
    Why....because there is more game, not less, and not because they find ways to "have less hunters out in the field"

Wow opened a can of worms. Just was looking for a hint. Don't worry we are all back now.
    majorguns

Quote Originally Posted by stixnstones View Post
    Wow opened a can of worms. Just was looking for a hint. Don't worry we are all back now.
    Well how did it go were you able to find some thing for the kids.

1 deer for one of the youngsters.
    majorguns

Quote Originally Posted by stixnstones View Post
    1 deer for one of the youngsters.
    Cool congrats to them.

The reality is folks...
    This year was/is an unuaslly hot and very dry summer.
    Throw in the pine beetle kill, and here we are....east kootenay closed.
    So, of course there is going to be more traffic in the WK...probably is in R8 as well.
    As for government etc do the right thing,,,
    I remember in the 70's, they wanted to "Spray".
    But thanks to the "greenpeacers of the day" and some residents in those areas....it didn't happen.
    Government caved..
    That why in some areas we see logging practices that look out of control....they tried to maximize their yield, to get the
    green trees before the beetle ( and yes, I have a close friend who is a licensed forester here, and he admits there is a lot of truth in that statement).
    Take the EK, and that huge leh cow system back in the early 90's, and I don't know how far back that went into ..80's??)
    We already had 3 point and better, but for some reason, we had a huge cow tag allotment, and many hunters said it wasn't a good thing...and they were right...but for some reasons, the bios of the day thought it was fine.
    The suddenly, the tags are dropped, the season didn't open til the 25th, and 6 point came into affect.
    So, sorry if I don't listen to trusting all the bios and the government.
    So, why didn't the elk really come back?
    I know the wolves did around that time, and then zonex opened up...funny how those 2 things coincided.
    And who did the government listen to then....the ranchers.

As for bow hunters against rifle guys.
    I don't have an issue with bow guys having a short season in the beginning...i'm fine with that (IMO)
    But, bow only regions...really.
    Just because a bow hunter comes across as being more ethical, isn't always true...I have caught a few in road closures
    packing a bow.
    Same goes for the rifle guys....good guys mostly, but still some guys that don't care about the rules.
    The best thing I saw, was a bow hunter with a leh goat tag.
    His 2 buddies carried rifles...why...cause he didn't want to hunt in Grizz country and be under gunned, so his buddies tagged along, with elk and deer tags.
    That's both groups working hand in hand.
    The bow guy wanted to hunt with bow, so theres no reason he cant, anytime of the season, and let the gun guys carry the guns.
    Maybe, we could add a bow season after the general gun season.??
    But, atleast we are "expanding" our hunting oppurtunities....not going down the rabbit hole of putting this culture into
    extinction.

The rain will come, this year will pass into the books, and next probably be back to somewhat normal...although I don't
    think the fires are done with the EK or southern part of BC in the future....theres a lot of deadwood laying in those hills.
    Lets just be happy that mother nature it's thing to restore the true habitat in the forest...it's been neglected for too long.
    But we hunters on the other hand need to put the thumb screws onto the government and bios to start making these wildlife populations bounce back, but not at the hunters expense any longer.
    The changes need to come in other forms this time around.

Did any if you guys help sixteen stones??

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    The reality is folks...
    This year was/is an unuaslly hot and very dry summer.
    Throw in the pine beetle kill, and here we are....east kootenay closed.
    So, of course there is going to be more traffic in the WK...probably is in R8 as well.
    As for government etc do the right thing,,,
    I remember in the 70's, they wanted to "Spray".
    But thanks to the "greenpeacers of the day" and some residents in those areas....it didn't happen.
    Government caved..
    That why in some areas we see logging practices that look out of control....they tried to maximize their yield, to get the
    green trees before the beetle ( and yes, I have a close friend who is a licensed forester here, and he admits there is a lot of truth in that statement).
    Take the EK, and that huge leh cow system back in the early 90's, and I don't know how far back that went into ..80's??)
    We already had 3 point and better, but for some reason, we had a huge cow tag allotment, and many hunters said it wasn't a good thing...and they were right...but for some reasons, the bios of the day thought it was fine.
    The suddenly, the tags are dropped, the season didn't open til the 25th, and 6 point came into affect.
    So, sorry if I don't listen to trusting all the bios and the government.
    So, why didn't the elk really come back?
    I know the wolves did around that time, and then zonex opened up...funny how those 2 things coincided.
    And who did the government listen to then....the ranchers.

As for bow hunters against rifle guys.
    I don't have an issue with bow guys having a short season in the beginning...i'm fine with that (IMO)
    But, bow only regions...really.
    Just because a bow hunter comes across as being more ethical, isn't always true...I have caught a few in road closures
    packing a bow.
    Same goes for the rifle guys....good guys mostly, but still some guys that don't care about the rules.
    The best thing I saw, was a bow hunter with a leh goat tag.
    His 2 buddies carried rifles...why...cause he didn't want to hunt in Grizz country and be under gunned, so his buddies tagged along, with elk and deer tags.
    That's both groups working hand in hand.
    The bow guy wanted to hunt with bow, so theres no reason he cant, anytime of the season, and let the gun guys carry the guns.
    Maybe, we could add a bow season after the general gun season.??
    But, atleast we are "expanding" our hunting oppurtunities....not going down the rabbit hole of putting this culture into
    extinction.

The rain will come, this year will pass into the books, and next probably be back to somewhat normal...although I don't
    think the fires are done with the EK or southern part of BC in the future....theres a lot of deadwood laying in those hills.
    Lets just be happy that mother nature it's thing to restore the true habitat in the forest...it's been neglected for too long.
    But we hunters on the other hand need to put the thumb screws onto the government and bios to start making these wildlife populations bounce back, but not at the hunters expense any longer.
    The changes need to come in other forms this time around.
    Very well said....and the habitat brought by the fires will definitely be a good thing..

Lol.... I was wondering the same thing. Doesn't look like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    Did any if you guys help sixteen stones??
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    I would like to see the data for the WK too, and the data for a increasing elk population in region 8.
    I'm simply going to say that (if its worded right) the deer population in region 8 and 3 is in a tailspin, so it could/should be closed too, instead the bag limit is increased......wtf??????
    Its unlikely that its hunting causing it all, its contributing just like roadkill is also a factor, however those of us who live and hunt here know what the issue's are, just like the guys from the WK should know, I would think.
    I am really ****ing concerned about the pressure we are going to see in 3-8 for an already wimpering deer and Moose population.
    I wont be too quick to jump on any political parties wagon as the liberals had how many years to put the $$$ back into wildlife initiatives? The NDP can do that right now if they wanted, what are they going to do anyways?
    The liberals gave resident hunters opportunities to the guiding industry, and they are the party to fix this schitt, lol
    Bull malarkey where are you seeing whimpering deer and moose pops in 3 and 8? Look at the counts that FD posted in 8-15, hell in one agricultural part of R8 this year early spring I counted 400 whitetails..its dry out but from what myself and others I know are seeing, the criitersmarent doing to bad round here..