Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spuds Opener

Spuds Opener

Ok, Klassen is complaining about the lack of posts, so I will do my part.

After not seeing much opening day eve, I think a yearling doe was about it, my son and I picked a spot to park and sleep in the back of the truck. No pressure as this was the first time both of us had been out hunting together for two years. It was time to enjoy the father son time. Last year the freezers were still full from the previous year, and life was a little more complicated.

The alarm went off as daylight was starting to break, just light enough to see dark objects in the surrounding slashes. I was up and out first as usual with a departing shake for Spud telling him it's time to go. I head for the cab of the truck to grab some morning necessities while giving the surrounding area a squinted gaze. That sure looks like a deer.....

I grabbed the binos and 200 yards up the slash is a deer standing broadside staring down at the rustling. Looked like a decent sized animal, but from what I could tell, no antlers. A whisper in the canopy window let Spud know what I see, and has him wide eyed in a heart beat. As it was still too early to get on the road, and have any sort of distance to be able to spot, we took our time getting mobile. As the light grew, just like magic, so did the antlers off the mule deers head, and a second animal, but a much smaller doe. Nothing to get too excited about, just a little basket rack, maybe a large 2 point, or possibly a 3. After some contemplation by us both, it was decided he would pass it up, and not until we were all packed up and ready to leave did the two deer, the 2 X 3 and a doe, finally saunter over the ridge line.

Not two hundred yards down the road another threesome was spotted. Two smaller two points, and a doe. Same story, the deer were in no hurry to vacate, and Spud was in no hurry to pull the trigger. Another 15 deer were spotted opening morning, no more bucks, but it was eventful. The day warmed up, the sightings subsided, and in came the dreaded "long afternoons". Spud just hates the time between morning and evening hunts. We motor around, check out new spots, go for little hikes, and if I'm lucky, we find some cellular service for him to cruise his apps or twitters or snapchats or instagrams or whatevers, and I can have a little snooze. I can't wait until he's old enough to appreciate a warm, breezy, shady, early season afternoon nap.

Day two was a little less exciting, but we did see deer, just no bucks. Another 15 or 20 I think. We started to wonder if passing on that first light gift of a 2.5 year old buck on opening morning, standing broadside, on the uphill side of the slash was such a good idea. The hopeful plan was to knock a buck down in one region, then head over to the neighboring region and look for a second. The 120 liter cooler was packed with 14 frozen milk jugs, and it was begging to be loaded up with fresh venison, but now the deer were not cooperating.

On the third day we woke up to smoke in the valley, but relatively clear up higher where we were. First slash two bucks headed for the timber across the road. A two point with a second bigger deer. The two point stood in the timber at 10 yards just long enough for Spud to get out, cross the road, have a look through the scope only to find too much brush in the way, and just as he was re-positioning, off the buck went. Onward we went to where we camped opening morning only to find a half dozen or so does. The deer gods were cursing us.

Our luck did a full reversal within 15 minutes. Not much of a story on him really. Through a different slash we went, and there he was, departing the watering hole. This one too was not in a great hurry, and Spud capitalized. As he slowly meandered from 40 yards out to 200, he was hesitant to provide a broadside shot. He did at 180 yards, but as luck would have it, he stopped behind one of the two trees in entire slash. The tree line was coming up fast.... Spud was dialed and finally at 200 yards he stopped for a brief second broadside, then on again.... "yup, take him.... no, no no. Waaaaaiiittt...." And there it was again, and this time, my boy made yet another fantastic shot quartering away. In the back rib, perfectly through the center of the heart, and broke the opposite leg just below the shoulder blade elbow. A quick 20 yard run, a half circle, a back flip onto his back and another one was in the books. A good one too.... A 3 X 4 with a good body on him.

We grabbed all our gear, the packs, knives, bed sheets, game bags, water, a snack or two, and we were off. By 10 AM we were back at the truck, loaded up, and heading for the barn. Spud wanted a day or two at home before heading back to school, hang out with friends, you know, 14 year old stuff. I don't blame him. We had a successful hunt, some quality father son time, and a fair amount of work to do getting this buck into the freezer, and cleaning up when we do get home. All in all, a perfect weekend. Oh.... and he did get to see one thing, almost a mythical creature that fairy tales are made of. A text book, perfect specimen of a immature bull. Just another highlight of a fantastic trip. Cheers.

If you can see the photo here, great, if not, go to the link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ufjpmwvxc...%2017.jpg?dl=0

The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spuds Opener

nice buck! and that kid has mad flow! im jealous

I wish I had 1/4 of that hair on my head! LOL

Congrats on a great early season buck and more importantly getting your son out hunting.
    KCCO

That's just about as perfect as you can get, father,son and a nice deer to boot, I like these story's, it is a hell of a lot better than some of the stuff most of us have been talking about lately, not that some of it isn't important but this is the good stuff

Good way to kick off the season. What region you guys in?

Great post. Congratulations on the early season success!
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

what product does you kid to use to get such volume?

great story on father son time. dandy deer too

That's just his hair and 3 days of natural elixir.

8 pounds of some of the chewiest teriyaki jerky ever made.

Great share. Rewarding hunt on many levels. Congrats to both of ya
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”