Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Mule Deer Hunters in Region 3 fire burnt Elephant Hill -- ?

Question for Mule Deer Hunters in Region 3 fire burnt Elephant Hill -- ?

-- How are huge mule bucks going to hide in the November rut, now and where do you think they wil? Ridge tops? etc.l When they breed, will they be vulnerable to 400 yard shots or more?
    - Now mules breed mostly at night but could be all night because of the open space. The mules will come back here this season also I think like always.
    -- This could be the season to use Bino's more and spotting scopes here.
    Jel -- I'm talking with Roddy and he knows about this but I want to know your thoughts and reasons. Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Question for Mule Deer Hunters in Region 3 fire burnt Elephant Hill -- ?

In the farmers fields!!! where it is says "No Trespassing/No hunting"....and "don't bother asking for permission".

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    In the farmers fields!!! where it is says "No Trespassing/No hunting"....and "don't bother asking for permission".
    Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by tipper View Post
    Are you serious?
    Oops...that probably didn't come out right.
    A long time ago, I came across an area, that was private property, and had "no shooting/no hunting sign"...but...
    right below it was a sign that also said "don't bother asking for permission"
    I didn't mean for it to sound like ..."disregard the sign postings and just go hunt it".
    Hope I cleared that up!

As for Jellies question...
    I think the deer will be where they would be normally....I guess a lot will depend on what type of winter we have...
    snowfall wise that is.
    I do honestly think you will see more deer down low in farmers fields....more then normal.
    And lets face it, asks the locals in a place like Princeton "where the BIG bucks are"...and they will tell you..
    "right in town"!
    As for using spotting scopes...yup....good idea to use to ones advantage...although, how many people walk around with
    bino's all day and never use them?....quite a few...
    Many forget that deer bed down quite often, especially in open clearcuts etc...so you have to be pretty damn good at using bino/scopes and for a good length of time...not just 10 seconds.
    Also, we hunters may have an advantage in "spotting more deer" due to the fires and that all the cover is now gone...but....
    It also means deer will be able to spot us from a lot further off as well....not so easy to sneak up on them...
    Which brings me to the "bigger concern"....
    How many people will spot deer, now that the terrain is a lot more open......
    And, attempt shots at a "much longer distance" then they normally would take, or even have had the opportunity like in the past....???
    How many deer are going to end up not dead, but wounded only??
    As for the impact on deer by the end of the season....I don't think "success" will be much different then before..
    Maybe I'm wrong on that point.....
    Last edited by Bugle M In; 09-04-2017 at 04:28 AM.

They will be close to feed, at
    loon lake area the ground is burnt bad with very limited areas of green, the deer have not been around like usual, so really who knows? But if I were a deer I would stick closer to farmers fields and food, once you are standing looking up hill at the blaze and just see black ground and burnt trees, you must have optimism. I for one will give my area a break this year, once you see it one would understand
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

I think you will see a lot of road deactivation and closed areas throughout the elephant hill area this season. I know for a fact it is already on the ministry's radar. Hopefully that will alleviate some of the hunting pressure because the deer will be more vulnerable. Just like other large fire areas.... after forestry is done putting it out they deactivate access heavily.

Glad to see you are back Jel. Were you taking a break for a while there buddy?

Just got back from morning hike.Pushed two 4 point bucks out of small poplar stand at 1000meters still green in the shaded coulees and drainages. The tenth cant come soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by lakelander View Post
    Glad to see you are back Jel. Were you taking a break for a while there buddy?
    Jel gets busy at times with his Elvis impersonation obligations he also heads up to the mountains fairly regular to meditate and do some gardening. That's a bit that I've been able to gather over the years anyways ..
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

I thought you knew everything Jelvis, why not start copy and pasting local areas to hunt and how to hunt the burns...or haven't you bought that book yet
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member