Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sept 1 opening day

Sept 1 opening day

Hey I'be been a member for awhile but never posted. I'm a new hunter this will be my third season. I'm just curious if any of you take advantage of the early season for mule deer in areas like 3-15 or if you wait untill it's cooler. I've been scouting a few places all summer and decided to give it a try yesterday. I drove up early morning to one of the areas I had scouted earlier that seemed to have a lot of sign. I hiked up a ridge through some windfall and sat down and waited for sunrise. It was a beautiful peaceful morning but about 10:00 a bunch of people on quads came up somewhere down below and broke open a case of beer. It got quit noisy And bottles were set up for target practice and they started shooting with a .22. Needless to say I gave up. As I was coming down I yelled to let them know I was a human not an animal. I had thought the area I scouted was pretty remote but I guess atv's can get anywhere theses days. The heat was also to much by mid day. 3-15 doesn't seem to have many decent hunting spots and the one I chose had some sub alpine area. I spent the rest of the day driving the fsr roads and people were everywhere. I won't try and hunt this long weekend again. I'll be waiting untill later in September to go out again I think. Too hot and to many people.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sept 1 opening day

I hope you got plate numbers and reported the bottle shooting, it's unlikely the cleaned up after themselves.

Myself I like to wait till October to hunt deer.

Is that not an area where they've closed the back country to ATV use? That broken glass could also start a fire. I can't imagine anything a whole lot unsafer than a bunch of yahoos cracking beers at sunrise and shooting glass bottles,,,,unless it was with higher caliber rifles!

Too bad they screwed up your hunt. Bow/crossbow hunting is tough enough when the conditions are perfect,,,,, add all that extra noise in and it makes it tougher yet!

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Is that not an area where they've closed the back country to ATV use? That broken glass could also start a fire. I can't imagine anything a whole lot unsafer than a bunch of yahoos cracking beers at sunrise and shooting glass bottles,,,,unless it was with higher caliber rifles!
    Im almost certain it is closed to ATV use currently. I would report it, but theres probably nothing to be done without plates/pictures or something like that

I'm not sure if atvs were banned. Lots of atv users on the fsr roads up there though

Quote Originally Posted by DallasCruz View Post
    Hey I'be been a member for awhile but never posted. I'm a new hunter this will be my third season. I'm just curious if any of you take advantage of the early season for mule deer in areas like 3-15 or if you wait untill it's cooler. I've been scouting a few places all summer and decided to give it a try yesterday. I drove up early morning to one of the areas I had scouted earlier that seemed to have a lot of sign. I hiked up a ridge through some windfall and sat down and waited for sunrise. It was a beautiful peaceful morning but about 10:00 a bunch of people on quads came up somewhere down below and broke open a case of beer. It got quit noisy And bottles were set up for target practice and they started shooting with a .22. Needless to say I gave up. As I was coming down I yelled to let them know I was a human not an animal. I had thought the area I scouted was pretty remote but I guess atv's can get anywhere theses days. The heat was also to much by mid day. 3-15 doesn't seem to have many decent hunting spots and the one I chose had some sub alpine area. I spent the rest of the day driving the fsr roads and people were everywhere. I won't try and hunt this long weekend again. I'll be waiting untill later in September to go out again I think. Too hot and to many people.
    Any offroad vehicles incl. Dual sports motorcycles are banned at the moment. Check the Gov site for updates.

I'm just at 3-13 today. Lot's of signs. If you keen to go out tomorrow anywhere around Merritt let me know.

All of region 3 has a ban for offroad vehicle use. Street/highway vehicles with plates only allowed on "designated" aka main, not overgrown, FSR roads.

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    All of region 3 has a ban for offroad vehicle use. Street/highway vehicles with plates only allowed on "designated" aka main, not overgrown, FSR roads.
    Yup all of region 3 is atv banned right now an prob will be till october or later unlell we get rains soon
    To bad no plate numbers to call it in and Gps ping the location for Cos to have ...

Ya I should have snapped some photos. Crazy I went for a drive up the nahatlach valley and almost all the campers had dirt bikes and atvs. Even passed a few on the roadway. Going to try hiking into an area I scouted earlier on this summer up the coq for a bear tomorrow and put up a trail cam I got today.

Given up on deer until november now. No problems with heat then..