Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire ban and shooting guns

Re: Fire ban and shooting guns

My haunts in reg 2, 3, 8 and 4 won't be seeing me any time soon back country ban or not. Not going scouting let alone hunting until there's a big change in the weather its just not worth it. I refuse to be part of the problem. anyone who's out there right now that doesn't need to be there whether you start a fire or not are part of the problem IMO. And I won't be missing much take a step in the bush anywhere now and its like stepping into 6 inches of corn flakes but probably louder.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    My haunts in reg 2, 3, 8 and 4 won't be seeing me any time soon back country ban or not. Not going scouting let alone hunting until there's a big change in the weather its just not worth it. I refuse to be part of the problem. anyone who's out there right now that doesn't need to be there whether you start a fire or not are part of the problem IMO. And I won't be missing much take a step in the bush anywhere now and its like stepping into 6 inches of corn flakes but probably louder.
    Ah, some sensible comments.

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    Now some pinhead got a good one rolling behind Peachland. Too many ******s in the bush now days
    First I heard looked it up and found this
    http://globalnews.ca/news/3715134/cr...peachland-b-c/

Fug.

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    It's not necessarily the bullet fragments. The causes of most fires at shooting ranges stem from 3 main issues. #1 cause is use of black powder. #2 is binary targets. and last is using FMJ and steel core type bullets and shooting rocks or steel plates. Your average hunting rifle shooting soft lead/copper (both non-ferrous metals) bullets acceptable/legal for hunting purposes and modern smokeless powder have extremely low risk of any ignition source. About the only way I can think of would be if you have a muzzle break or short barreled rifle and are lying down in tall dead grass when you pull the trigger.
    My thoughts are people watch too many movies and tv shows where someone shoots a gun and they see sparks where the bullets impact or big explosions on screen, and then try to relate that to real life. I do agree with russm86 and the stated 3 issues however. While I have seen flame shoot out the end of a riffle before, I believe there is a greater risk of starting a fire due to hot exhaust on grass and idiots having camp fires. Radio reported the other day that CO's last week had handed out fines for some 25+ campfire offences!!!!!! Was high up on a mountain several weeks ago and couldn't help but notice how green and lush it was compared to the dry, dusty, and crispy valley bottom.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

It's very difficult for standard bullets to cause a fire. Not impossible, but it's so difficult it should be a very low consideration when it comes to fire hazard. We should worry about stuff that really matters.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

----> Lightning is what causes lots of fires look it up.
    -- lightning iz not controlled by BC Hydro --
    Jel -- haha, let's try lookin up a lil more ok -- lightning and ton derrr.

Quote Originally Posted by butterz View Post
    Um so what's the word on shooting rifles when rifle season opens up? The fire ban would mean no shooting in the backcountry as well. Anyone have some insight? Biggest concern is Co giving you a ticket. Here in region 8 it's really dry. Lots of concern with guns starting fires
    Nope, I'd say starting another fire would be a bigger concern than you getting a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    It's definitely a first light / last light show with the heat and if you factor in the crunchy terrain you aren't missing much especially if you're bow hunting and need to be within 30 yards. Only deer we had within (my) bow range was a Reg 2 muley doe last light. Animals are mostly only moving to change bedding areas to stay out of the sun. Not that you can't be successful, just the odds are reduced. I wouldn't go as far as to say that anyone out is part of the problem, but the risk is extreme. You're a conscientious guy and I think you would be mindful and wouldn't make any mistakes... but yeah with the skeeters, wasps, crunchy terrain and having to do what the animals do (hide and be inactive 3/4 of the day) it is unfavorable. In some places there is decent condensation so at least brown grass in the morning isn't too loud. QA'd
    Last edited by caddisguy; 09-03-2017 at 08:14 PM.

I hear you caddis I don't begrudge guys heading out where its open if they know what they're doing and are super careful. Its just not for me the places I hunt since moving over here tend to be on the drier side from the get go, now they are ready to explode. Anybody that's out there now is adding risk that's a given its the responsibility of each to manage it to as low as possible.

Hey Jellyfish! Check out the BC Wildfire site of active burning fires in Kamloops Fire Center. More than half of the about 16 fires currently burning are considered human caused, ciggybuts and playing with sparky things etc...Was watching some beginner archers flinging arrows with recurves and missing the target butt a couple days ago. Near dusk you could see the sparks when they made contact with the rocks. Just sayin. Myself, I'm staying out until we get some moisture and cooler weather.