Thread: Fernie.....Upland Sept 4-10

Fernie.....Upland Sept 4-10

I'm currently in the process of moving to BC from NB, but right now I'm touring around in my trailer, mostly for Mountain Biking. But now that grouse season is open, I'm hoping to get out every now and then with my dog.

I'm in Fernie next week (Sept 4-10) and knowing very little about areas, I'm pretty much driving blind when it comes to finding areas to try. If anyone wanted to point me even in a general direction, like try up this FSR, that would be greatly appreciated.

Or if there is anyone that is interested in getting out grouse hunting over a dog (Brittany, 1.5 years old. Still learning, but if there is birds, he'll find them) and knows where to go, maybe we could sit down and have a beer/coffee early next week and then head out if things work out. Bonus for being able to go for Blues.

Feel free to PM me.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fernie.....Upland Sept 4-10

Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    I'm currently in the process of moving to BC from NB, but right now I'm touring around in my trailer, mostly for Mountain Biking. But now that grouse season is open, I'm hoping to get out every now and then with my dog.

I'm in Fernie next week (Sept 4-10) and knowing very little about areas, I'm pretty much driving blind when it comes to finding areas to try. If anyone wanted to point me even in a general direction, like try up this FSR, that would be greatly appreciated.

Or if there is anyone that is interested in getting out grouse hunting over a dog (Brittany, 1.5 years old. Still learning, but if there is birds, he'll find them) and knows where to go, maybe we could sit down and have a beer/coffee early next week and then head out if things work out. Bonus for being able to go for Blues.

Feel free to PM me.
    Welcome to BC!

Just a heads up, currently, all backcountry use is restricted in that area due to dry conditions and fear of more forest fires.

http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprS...le.asp?ID=2877

MAP:
    http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/ftp/...70831%20V3.pdf

So while hunting is open in that area, you are not allowed to go onto crown land.

I guess you should also be aware of what it takes to get a bc hunting license ( Canadian residents need the majority of the last 6 months living in bc to be eligible)..... migratory birds are federal so maybe you will have to shoot some waterfowl this fall...They recently nailed a BC born hockey player for being ineligible due to his time spent playing nhl hockey elsewhere .... otherwise you need to pay a bit more to get an out of province license
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 09-01-2017 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfire View Post
    Welcome to BC!

Just a heads up, currently, all backcountry use is restricted in that area due to dry conditions and fear of more forest fires.

http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprS...le.asp?ID=2877

MAP:
    http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/ftp/...70831%20V3.pdf

So while hunting is open in that area, you are not allowed to go onto crown land.
    Thanks for that. Looks like I'm out of luck for now.
    Last edited by CptSydor; 09-01-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    I guess you should also be aware of what it takes to get a bc hunting license ( Canadian residents need the majority of the last 6 months living in bc to be eligible)..... migratory birds are federal so maybe you will have to shoot some waterfowl this fall...They recently nailed a BC born hockey player for being ineligible due to his time spent playing nhl hockey elsewhere .... otherwise you need to pay a bit more to get an out of province license
    Thank you. Already have my non-resident small game and upland bird license, as well as migratory, which as far as I know, can't use unless you have a provincial small game/bird anyway. Unfortunately it was definitely more as a non-resident, but for this year, I'll pay the $130, drop in the bucket compared to dog/gps/beeper/gun, etc.

sorry cpt sydor if I was being cpt obvious...heheheh...good luck this fall