Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to the hunting scene, seeking advice.

new to the hunting scene, seeking advice.

hi all,
    so I'm new to hunting and I was hoping some of your could share a little advice on tactics or what to look for or even terrain that could help a beginner (me) into finding deer, WT or mullies.

do they tend to move more morning and night and bed down during the day?
    up high country or down lower in the valleys?
    in the thick trees or clear cuts or fields?
    should I hike around or stay put?

any advice would be helpful and appreciated. I'm hoping to get out toward the end of October to region 3 or 8.

good luck to everyone this year and thanks again for the help

2. Site Sponsor

Re: new to the hunting scene, seeking advice.

Really depends what sort of hunting you want to do.
    Deer do all sorts of things in all sorts of terrain. For the most part you will get the most movement early morning and later in the evening. If your going to be glassing for a spot and stalk hunt look at south east facing slopes that catch the morning sun. You may spot the deer warming up after a cold night.

Best thing to do is get out there and find out what you like then focus on that. Also spend money on boots and glass the rest can wait til you fine tuneyour game plan.

Cheers

Cruising with your ATV or vehicle early morning scoping out clear cuts can be effective early morning/late evening, as sitting can be as well...they like the forage of clear cuts or burns..when they're bedded, usually mid day, still-hunting bedding areas can be effective..they will occasionally be out at different times other than first/last light, sometimes even to grab water...mulies tend to range more, vs. whitetails once you find a core area, they usually stay in that core area of habitat, and are usually more predicable on movement times etc, but are very cagey..

thanks for the tips guys.

Where do you live? What area will you be hunting?

one tactic I have used in the past was to check farm fields at night to see where they are night feeding then figure out how they will move out and where they will move to (maps)...go set up where you think they will be headed to as they seem to move before light now more than ever so waiting at the exit point from a field only seems to get animal traffic while it is still dark. nearby benches will be where the does go while higher tops seem to be where the bucks like to go (unless the rut is on of course)...One thing I have noticed the last few years is there seems to be a lot more movement midday when we have traditionally been back at camp eating lunch (on more than a few occasions we have seen quite a few moving about on days when we have been driving back to camp for lunch the last few years....

This conversation can go into great depth. PM me if you want to..

Hunt were there's anamals.
    Find fresh sign and we'll used game trails. It's easy to get distracted when you find lots of old sign.
    I like to hunt the mornings and evenings and explore/ scout and cover ground mid day to find spots for that evening or the next morning.

i'm in aldergrove but same as fishing i have no issues with travel. i have some knowledge in areas in region 3 and 8. so id probably start there i guess

I'm going to answer all your questions in a clear and concise way so that all doubts will be removed

do they tend to move more morning and night and bed down during the day?
    Yes
    up high country or down lower in the valleys?
    Both
    in the thick trees or clear cuts or fields?
    Yes
    should I hike around or stay put?
    Both

Now you will know exactly what to do!

Seriously, the answers to your questions fill books. You are asking the right questions but they are so broad in scope. If I were you I would start scouting areas and coming up with more specific questions about what you are seeing. First get to know the roads and access points. Get on foot when you see something interesting and hike around. Follow the sign and see where it leads you. Come up with more questions and see if you can get answers here.