Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Backcountry closure - East Kootenay, specifically Rocky Mountain Resource District

Re: Backcountry closure - East Kootenay, specifically Rocky Mountain Resource Distric

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Beacause more will make it throught the season...
    And than with regrowth of burns population should start to expand.
    That's all I was thinkin...yes I know that more males over amount x will not create a larger overall population, and I hate that the area restriction ruined my EK hunting plans, but I had to find one positive spin..

Re: Backcountry closure - East Kootenay, specifically Rocky Mountain Resource Distric

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Won't be long and more closures will happen. IE; the West Kootenay.
    Not sure where you're getting your info but the plan is to keep it open.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    That's all I was thinkin...yes I know that more males over amount x will not create a larger overall population, and I hate that the area restriction ruined my EK hunting plans, but I had to find one positive spin..
    I think we all hear you.
    Trying to find a positive isn't a bad thing.
    But, remember, even though the 6 pt restriction was put in place years ago now (19 years??), it sure hasn't helped
    the overall population.
    On top of that, GO's said that this would allow us all to hunt "world class trophy bulls" again.
    To be honest, I haven't seen that many taken since the restriction either.
    These fires will create the habitat ( a start anyways), that will be the biggest benefit in years, and habitat that isn't littered with roads (easy access)....well...I hope not...depends how many they need to push in to fight fires??

My hunt looks like it isn't going to happen either, but I am hoping that the area will open by October, before the Elk Season is completely over???
    That's the only way to stay "positive" right now...at least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    West region 4 and region 8 will be next to be closed, the smoke is thick and gross and no signs of rain. If a guys desperate to get out head north or be prepared to have your trip interupted.

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    Not getting "my information" from anywhere. Only my opinion. The WK is not at all different from the EK right now in terms of risk. The criteria used to decide the fate of the backcountry in the EK is likely being used everywhere and logic would dictate, the WK/Boundary is next if things don't change.

I don't understand why they closed most of the EK down for fire when there is just as much risk for fires in the WK ??? My thoughts are before a fire starts from whatever they should have the WK closed down now.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Lots of people from the Yahk town are furies not closing down the forest in there area they say that many hunters will come to there area and the chance of a fire will be grater ,,they say why did they the personal have the closed off area the other side of town some distance ???.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    I think we all hear you.
    Trying to find a positive isn't a bad thing.
    But, remember, even though the 6 pt restriction was put in place years ago now (19 years??), it sure hasn't helped
    the overall population.
    On top of that, GO's said that this would allow us all to hunt "world class trophy bulls" again.
    To be honest, I haven't seen that many taken since the restriction either.
    These fires will create the habitat ( a start anyways), that will be the biggest benefit in years, and habitat that isn't littered with roads (easy access)....well...I hope not...depends how many they need to push in to fight fires??

My hunt looks like it isn't going to happen either, but I am hoping that the area will open by October, before the Elk Season is completely over???
    That's the only way to stay "positive" right now...at least for me.
    Totally hear ya...like Jesse Zeman said, as long as the bull:cow ratio isn't below 20:100 for elk it won't hurt the pops....I doubt a 6 pt season would drop it below that...