Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you use for wet ground protection when in seated/prone on a hunt?

Re: What do you use for wet ground protection when in seated/prone on a hunt?

Great success. A small, lightweight, and super quiet yet waterproof solution courtesy of my local WSS blowout sale.

And for all you jokers (hat tip to the Depends), kindly take note that if I soil myself while atop my new bounty, it won't soak through and ruin the pristine woodland around me. Shazam.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails blanketBlanketSmall.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    One of those thermarest Z lite sleeping pads?

I use a cut off one as a glassing pad. Super light, folds smallish and waterproof.
    I use this. The short model is $40. Not bad if you split it with a buddy. Works way better than carrying a blanket and weighs maybe 4oz.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I use this. The short model is $40. Not bad if you split it with a buddy. Works way better than carrying a blanket and weighs maybe 4oz.
    I had a look at those too, but went this way because in a compression sack that I carry this will compress to be smaller in size than 1/2 of a z-lite and weighs in at under 1lb, and I like that if push comes to shove I can use this on a travois or as a boost to my sleeping quarters. With any luck I'll get out soon and see how it works out, the z-lite pad may end up being the go.

A Pendleton wool blanket that a seamstress converted into a poncho. Stays warm when wet; Keeps gun, scope and binoculars dry.

A self inflating seat with a belt purchased off the Remington site.

We visited the Pendleton mill in Oregon a few years back, love their gear. If you ever get a chance to go, they have a massive back room of imperfect blankets that are shockingly cheap for the quality.

Proper rain gear, I have a set of West German gortex camo rain gear. It was awesome for years then it wasn't 100% rainproof so I waxed them recently. I've been out in the rain sitting on the ground in a cutblock and have been bone dry, I always have then on or in my pack. Get proper rain gear, problem solved when it comes to staying dry on the ground. They also cut the wind out well, love them. Oh yeah, waterproof boots help as well.

Next time you pass by a house/building being built. Ask one of the guys if they have any tyvek sheets they are going to discard. If you ask nice enough, most builders are cool with giving you a unwanted sheet. Tyvek weighs nothing, can be folded up to take up no pack space and can be used over and over an you can sew a thin felt material found at your local hobby stores to help deaden the crinkle. I also use a foam kneeling pad from Canadian tire, located in the gardening section, as a butt pad when glassing for long periods. It also costs about 5-6bucks.
    Last edited by Vancityrider; 10-24-2017 at 03:33 PM.

X2 on the thermarest Z

Doesnt look as near comfy as it really is.

I use a foam garden kneeling pad, works great for sitting.

Grab some tyvek paper and cut it to the dimensions you need. Super cheap and very light.
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost