Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help recovering ram

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Re: Need help recovering ram

There are those in the hunting community that lead by their ethics and good examples...
    and there are those that remind us why there's so much negativity towards hunters.
    I applaud your fine efforts, your determination 'to do right', and for you setting such
    a excellent example for all of us. If I wasn't in the middle of a series of surgeries I would
    be proud to come out with my dog and try to help find that sheep with you.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    I disagree in 30plus heat you shoot a animal and dont find it. There is no trophy in recovery at that point..

Throw in the towel and admit you lost the animal.
    Recovering a week old carcess and claiming tbe horns is down right stupid.. i saw a guy register boon and crocket game he found a week later..no feet there. If you want to?
    A go look for that sheep cool hes probably still ticking.
    B.go pick up some maggot horns there is no pride there cool.
    C.go shoot another sheep cool.

But d go pick up some rotten shit you took the shot for the wrong reasons.

I would quit hunting tbose sheep for the season knowing i took one or go shoot another...
    I agree completely with Srupp and Texas Walker! The young man is doing EVERYTHING right and I can tell you if I had a dog or was younger I would walk that 20 kms to help him.

I disagree, in 30+ heat you shoot an animal and don't find it. There is no trophy in recovery at that point..

Recovering a week old carcass and claiming the horns is down right stupid.
    I saw a guy register Boone & Crockett game he found a week later .... no feat there. If you want to?
    A) Go look for that sheep .... cool, he's probably still ticking.
    B) Go pick up some maggot horns there is no pride there .... cool.
    C) Go shoot another sheep .... cool.

But go pick up some rotten shit you took the shot for the wrong reasons.
    I would quit hunting those sheep for the season knowing I took one, or go shoot another ....
    Recovering that ram is a personal and ethical quest for the OP.
    'walks with deer' ....... you seem to be quite different than many of the hunters here.

hey chris:

it always takes a while to recover from some random bullshit post..........

for me the hardest thing about your situation is the knowing, yet not knowing

in my 40 years of hunting I have left 2 in the bush (whities) and I know it is one sick feeling

from your reports you can be confident that you did everything right and it boils down to a bit of bad luck

as many have said you need to expand your coverage area substantially and 'generally' a wounded animal heads down hill

keep your chin up and we will all look forward to the pix of your trophy

be safe on the return trip

chris

At 300 yards the bullet wood have opened up good. Maybe dying slowly and is laying in a ruff hard to see spot. Under a over hanging rock bluff and like a shallow cave.
    Good luck and good on you for the fine effort your making.
    Jel -- may you find this fine specimen, we pray you will -- very good effort your making a good example

Quote Originally Posted by campking View Post
    I agree completely with Srupp and Texas Walker! The young man is doing EVERYTHING right and I can tell you if I had a dog or was younger I would walk that 20 kms to help him.
    He is welcome in my camp and is doing the hunting community proud. Srupp and Walker, excellent posts.
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

I disagree in 30plus heat you shoot a animal and dont find it. There is no trophy in recovery at that point..

Recovering a week old carcess and claiming tbe horns is down right stupid.. i saw a guy register boon and crocket game he found a week later..no feet there. If you want to?
    A go look for that sheep cool hes probably still ticking.
    B.go pick up some maggot horns there is no pride there cool.
    C.go shoot another sheep cool.

But d go pick up some rotten shit you took the shot for the wrong reasons.

I would quit hunting tbose sheep for the season knowing i took one or go shoot another...
    The op is doing the right thing. Your comments are disgusting; you are not a hunter. Looks like you should take up bowling.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Ferenc why are you going to look for maggots.

We hit 38 degrees today..i have high ethics thats why i wouldnt want to go pick up a rotten skull..

Dont hunt anymore for sheep or look for the cripple fine..

Sounds like a marginal spinal the thing could live 10 more years or be maggots..
    I have vounteered for long recoverys but not just for some maggot horns.
    You really seem to be missing the point. He is a hunter that obviously in his mind has not satisfied himself that the animal isn't down. No one likes to end something when they are very sure they hit the mark and simply as stated, are in tough country and the puzzle hasn't come together mentally yet. When to quit the search is up to the individual, and for anyone to pressure anyone to stop that quest simply doesn't get it. If you have ever been that guy that has to look for what he shot, you should understand that its something that sticks with you, and I personally would continue the search until I decided the animal was still alive.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

as I mentioned on another thread about elk, I got my one and only elk while doing a search for a WT fawn that may or may not have been alive...I had shot a lone doe with a really full udder so I went back to the spot that evening the next morning and the following evening as well to see if I left an orphan bambi (when you could take 2 does)....my efforts were rewarded by a 6x6 elk (in my avatar pic)

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Wow.seriously? You could not be more incorrect.the guy hiked in 20 kms, and out, several times plus hunting kms. He found sheep, and got off a shot at under 200 yards..all acomplishment. .of the animal he chose to hunt...
    He is not stupid,, pretty harsh words can understand why many good hunters bail on this site..or refuse to post !
    No feat there ? Obviously harder than finding a upright moving animal.this becomes a study in recovery efforts, skills found usually on African trackers..not every animal will drop and stay, these skills are mandatory in our chosen pastime .reading tracks, finding hair, direction of travel, uphill, downhill. .why..it's unfortunate. .but happens

Your tone, words..Throw in the towel, no trophy there..week old carcass claiming the carcass is downright STUPID..go pick up some maggot horns, go pick up some maggot shit you shot for the wrong reasons.

Throw in the towel..wow..have much more respect for the man's bravery coming on this savage all knowing site and asking for help and gets your face full of venom.the next will jump at the chance to ask for help, or admit things did not wind up perfectly.
    Glad your perfect , and every animal dropped instantly as played out in the script .
    The majestic sheep deserves more effort and less "maggot shit" descriptive terminology.this meant something special to him as it should.your characterisation is wrong and breaks down the wild sheep into descriptive slang, showing no knowledge on your part of shooting something truly epic to be celebrated for life .

If the sheep is dead..he can not shoot another one, only looking longer, and asking for suggestions, help will he determine the next step.
    If he does not find blood.if he does not find tracks, if he does not find the remains.he can perhaps come to one of 2 conclusions.
    1 the ram is dead and he just can't find him.you can not cut your tag..no animal to associate it with.
    The ram is alive.he would be allowed to harvest a ram.on a guided hunt it would be over.

I'm sorry you feel that after 1 or 2 days it's not worth the effort, I disagree..i would treasure that ram even the more for finding out what went sideways, how far he went, and why and realizing how difficult it is to admit things were not perfect, and especially on HBC we certainly are getting a reputation for eating our young.then to see strangers share 5,10,15,20,30 40 years of field knowledge in helping you find your ram.thats what hunters do.always.
    There is nothing you could possibly say that could remotely make him feel worse, or more upset.than he already feels....but hey good try you did amazing well your creative writing, s lagging, ridiculing that only showed no concept by you of many of the aspects of a hunt that demonstrates a respect of in this case a sheep and it's entire worth .to take a life requires utmost attempt at finding the animal..yes even just the head and horns .respect.

First time sheep hunter, first post asking for help....what did he learn from your contribution? What message will be received by the next hunter seeking to learn and become better...if you truly feel this way.im sorry perhaps knitting..when you drop one..it's only a specific stitch..
    Sincerely
    Steven Rupp

I don't toot anyone's horn but well blood said......cheers