Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Need help recovering ram

Re: Need help recovering ram

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispryn View Post
    So I dragged my brother in law up the mountain friday night to meet a super cool dude and his dog up at camp.

We went back to where i took the shot and started working the dog. The dog barely flinched in that area until he found and old old carcass. We worked in that area for about 4 or 5 hours then pushed back through the thick stuff below and again the pooch didnt flinch.

So im pretty confident that i messed up my shot pretty good and either whacked the horn or a non fatal through and through shot. That animal definitely isnt dead anywhere down there.

I feel really good about that. Id rather come away from my first sheep hunt without killing a ram than coming away killing a ram i didnt recover. A bit of closure feels great. Certainly a solid lesson learnt on this hunt.

Thank you again to all of you for your advice, suggestions and support. Anyone wver finds themselves in a situation where they need a second set of eyes or a strong back please get a hold of me and if im able id love to help out.

Cheers fellas
    Chris
    Atleast you can now relax having a good idea what happened. To me this was the best out come

again good on you for putting in the effort to confirm the out come

He exerted all efforts to try and recover that ram.
    Tip of the hat to him.
    Unfortunately sh*t simply happens.
    He should hold his head high and move on

My opinion is he did not hit the ram in the horns.
    Having witnessed two antler hits by hunters they drop like a sack of potatoes in their tracks.....out cold.

Everyone I am sure respects your efforts and commitment trying to find that ram.
    Time to move on.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Good on you!
    Your scenario, in hitting game potentially, and then not finding it, happens to just about all of us if you are out there
    hunting long enough.
    I know some "extremely seasoned sheep hunters", who have hit a ram thru the horns, so it happens to the best of us.
    Heck, I even had a buck, that is missing an antler.
    Similar situation....shot the buck as he was running away...he drops, and I think game over, put the rifle down to pick up
    my pack and radio...and suddenly, I realize he is back up, and running down hill.
    No snow, and hard tracking terrain, and was only presented with a head to shoot at while running!?.....I ended up hitting
    1" high!!
    It did get his attention, and he angled broadside and in the open....done.

For everyone....."keep your eyes on the target....always......you can always grab you gear later"

Did everything possible to recover the animal.
    True Hunter
    True outdoorsman

Awesome job Crispryn!!!! A++++++++

Best thread of the year

Respect. Good on you making every effort!

Great effort, true sportsmanship,
    My 1500 pound moose from last fall had a bullet hole through his antler..it happens..
    Good on the hounds an and dog.
    Welcome around my campfire anytime.
    Cheers
    Srupp

Yeah you can hold your head high Chris. First class effort you didn't think of quitting until you proved what actually went down like the others I tip my hat to you that's how it should be done. Weird stuff happens every once in a while the bullet could have clipped some brush near you or near the ram the bullet smacked something right near him causing a huge flinch making it look like a hit. But hey man, the dog doesn't lie if he's finding old carcasses but nothing else interesting in the area I'm voting clean miss.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

If you ever come to hunt on the island get in touch! Your welcome in our hunting group anytime!

Great Effort there Chris ! True Hunter with Ethics ! jmo RJ