Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Need help recovering ram

Re: Need help recovering ram

Sometimes,just sometimes you get there, and there is nothing left, but, you tried. I can't say enough about his tenacity and ethics for just wanting a conclusion to his first ram hunt, my kinda guy. This deer was shot in the pouring rain, it poured all night and was still pouring when we started the track. It went up the mtn., down the mtn., and back again,very very, difficult track. But we found it and that in itself was gratifying enough for me and the shooter as well. Keep Tracking, Have Fun,Shoot Straight....

Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing

Verein Deutsch Drahthaar Group Canada

(Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend)

Well put hot load. .like your hunting partner.
    Cheers
    Steven

Big 3 PT hot load - good on Ya ! RJ

Looks like a heard of woofs passed by that Mulie.

Closure is a good feeling, even if it doesn't end up the way you wanted.

See, once hit, they don't always go "downhill" (most of the time...yes).
    Have seen them "go up" as well.

Your right, they always don"t do anything according to plan, but playing the odds, it's down hill and toward water. In this case we followed him as he stayed with a small herd, which made to decipher his particular track extremely hard as he left them and came back to them a few times and then veered off and left them for good. A well trained dog can pick out the stressed deer and track it. As I had mentioned this shooter was at the very least happy for a photo and put a proper conclusion to a day gone wrong, as is what Chrispryn wanted. I fully understand settling your mind and walking away with or without your animal thinking, nothing more could have been done. As I get calls to track for hunters I immediately see the stress leave their face once the hunt has been finalized, one way or the other..............................
    Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing

Verein Deutsch Drahthaar Group Canada

(Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend)

I got a stone on the wall that was shot thru the base ofthe horn.huge hole .probablywould have nocked him out cold
    Sheep are not that tough. Grizzlies are. Grizzlies eat what sheep eat, plus they eat sheep

Hey all. Decided I might share the end of this story with all you.

As I mentioned in another post about a Mule deer, I have grown a huge love and obsession for this Mountain range and spent every huntable moment up there looking for big deer but secretly re-living the sheep hunt that got away from me.

On one of my many trips up that range, I had just returned to spike camp to thaw out after glassing the mornings movement. Again my Australian blood failed me and i needed to light a fire and get into some warm dry clothes. As Im huddled by the fire, 117 yards from me and my tent my ram and 2 of his buddies crossed a saddle, gave me a quick 'how ya going' head turn and walked out of sight.

It was so frustrating and so satisfying at the same time. Obviously if my tag was still valid i could have finished the job but at the same time it was incredible to see him cruising without injury.

How do i know it was my ram? Good question.
    Well we watch that heard for many days before actually getting close enough for a shot. In that herd there were 3 shooters. 1 was clearly over the 3/4 limit and this happened to be the one I shot at. Another was a solid 3/4 curl but definitely less than the big guy. This ram was harvested by a friend whom had the same tag. The third ram was somewhere between the other 2 bit he wore an orange collar.

The rams that came through camp were the big 'no doubter' ram, the collared ram and a juvenile.

Anyway, I was very excited to see him healthy and ready to survive another winter.

Who ever manages to shoot him owes me some photos of any holes or scars

Thanks for reading

Chris

Cool ending to a really great story, Chris. I'm happy to hear it.

Cool thanks for sharing. That must have been relieving