Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grouse versus Ptarmigan ID

Grouse versus Ptarmigan ID

Hi all, so see that Ptarmigan season opens Sept 1st in the Thompson Region 3. Not sure I have ever seen any that region, is the main ID their fluffy feet?

Cause to me, they look pretty similar to the Spruce Grouse on first glance which don't open until Sept 10th. Not clear why they didn't delay the Ptarmigan opener to avoid any confusion. A chicken is a chicken.

Thanks, VFX

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grouse versus Ptarmigan ID

I've never seen a ptarmigan in region 3 in 50+ years.

Wait 'til the 10th.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Kill them in the alpine every year in region 3. Usually pretty white by mid September.

It was only a few years ago that I thought Ptarmigan were only up north , and I have been in the bush over 30 years haha !

Ptarmigan are pretty much only found in the alpine. If you are getting out of your truck to shoot them they are grouse

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    Ptarmigan are pretty much only found in the alpine. If you are getting out of your truck to shoot them they are grouse

BHB
    Shot ptarmigan off roads the just need to be really high elevation most of the time

Before someone says they were grouse I am 100% the white ones are a dead give away lol. Yes in region 3 as well 3-17 3-32 and 3-16

FD are you sure you hunt 50 years hunting region 3 and never seen a ptarmigan lmao

I have only seen ptarmigan in the alpine.

except for I saw somebody shoot one in subalpine of stave lake on the road.

other than that its been a 7b thing for me.. beside the sheep

"A chicken is a chicken."

Not if your a real bird hunter. It's amazing how many hunters cannot identify the different game birds.

Quote Originally Posted by VFX_man View Post
    Hi all, so see that Ptarmigan season opens Sept 1st in the Thompson Region 3. Not sure I have ever seen any that region, is the main ID their fluffy feet?

Cause to me, they look pretty similar to the Spruce Grouse on first glance which don't open until Sept 10th. Not clear why they didn't delay the Ptarmigan opener to avoid any confusion. A chicken is a chicken.

Thanks, VFX
    I agree that aligning the season dates would help avoid confusion right at the edge of the alpine in early season. There is often not a lot of time to closely identify before the flush unless you spot and stalk . Bow season - Sep 1 for both birds; Other tools - Sep 10 for both birds.

For sure in September, ptarmigan will be alpine only... and unlikely to see other grouse up there. Ptarmigan will come down to lower elevation and can be found in clearcuts, etc. - but not til later in the fall/winter