Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New plan: kill the moose to save the Caribou

Hybrid View

New plan: kill the moose to save the Caribou

The morning news on the radio today:
    It is been determined that reducing moose population reduces wolf population. The Government is considering reducing moose population in areas where mountain Caribou are endangered to reduce predation by wolves.

This is from the CBC. The science maybe accurate, but the methodology seems ridiculous.

Is the BCWF on board with this plan? It seems counterproductive
    ἀλήθεια

Make like a baby and head out!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New plan: kill the moose to save the Caribou

They already do that. I met a co in the bush around the Mackenzie junction,he told me this is what they were doing. This was a few years ago now, kind of pissed me off ,travelled 5 hours for my leh trip and in a week never even saw a track. Just a load of other hunters all with leh. What a joke

This was tried around Revelstoke about 15 yrs ago. Did not work then either.
    We lost most the moose and then the wolves went after the caribou.

Wouldn't it be more effective and more controllable to just kill the wolves?

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    Oh, we can't do that anymore, because we don't eat wolves and we can only shoot what will eat!
    For an accurate account of what the province of BC did about too many wolves in the 1950s and /60s, see the book, "Outposts and Bush Planes," by a BC author. Contact the publisher, Hancock House Publishers.

It would make more sense, I wonder what the person was smoking when they thought that up.
    Remove an alternate food source for wolves so they only have the caribou feed on.

Quote Originally Posted by 303savage View Post
    It would make more sense, I wonder what the person was smoking when they thought that up.
    Remove an alternate food source for wolves so they only have the caribou feed on.
    As I have stated before, the "studiers" don't want to come up with a "professional" solution. If the public was ever informed that wolves were essentially killing everything they were capable of eating, a solution to thin the packs would have to be made and the study funds will dry up.

Follow the money, there will be more spent now with the current governments.

Sounds a little ridiculous to me why would you no target real problem. And eliminate the wolves after all they are the culprits.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by boblly1 View Post
    Sounds a little ridiculous to me why would you no target real problem. And eliminate the wolves after all they are the culprits.
    Oh my gosh, you wicked wicked man, you want to control the wolf population, sick *******s you are !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Studies have been done on this.
    If there is any alternative prey source after the moose are reduced the wolf population continues just fine.
    A classic example was the attempt at recovering the caribou in the Quesnel highlands.
    A few years after the moose reduction a peer report was released.
    One critical comment that stood out was that the report stated that the final step to recovering the caribou population was never completed....REDUCE THE WOLVES.