Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issues installing kisser button on bear cruzer

Issues installing kisser button on bear cruzer

It seems the string is a bit thick for the kisser button. I can slide the kisser button on (though it's very tight) but can't slide the brackets that came with it over top of the kisser button.

I tried bending out the brackets a little bit, which worked somewhat (I could slide them on) but wasn't able to get a good crimp as the brackets are barely long enough.

Any ideas how to improvise something to hold it on? I have wonder if it might hold itself on and in place but not sure if it's a good idea to test that.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Issues installing kisser button on bear cruzer

Depending on the type of kisser button, I'd opt to serve it in instead of using any clamps anyways. I find serving things in place much easier to deal with, locks in place and is easily removed or repaired in the field if needed.

Thanks for the reply RackMastr (and PM's)

I might just go without the kisser button but good idea about serving it in. I am new to bows and should have researched a little further. If I decide to use something for a kisser, it sounds like a single D-loop knot or stacking on a bunch of serving thread will do the job. Sounds better than a plastic button anyway.

Just pinch on a brass nock for your kisser button. There easily adjusted and wont move once pinched down properly. There also not as aggressive as the plastic disc type buttons.
    Last edited by donny.brooke; 08-29-2017 at 08:28 AM.

Apparently I need nock pliers too, probably why those little brackets/nocks/whatever didn't crimp on very well. As bow season approaches, I am finding out a lot of things I should have learned since I got the bow several weeks ago.

I need to figure out how to tie the peep sight in place (thank goodness for youtube) While shooting over the weekend, suddenly my 30 yard shots were going a foot low. I realized the peep sight had moved. For this weekend I'll probably just get a sharpie and mark the string where the peep sight needs to be and check it before I shoot.

More ignorance on my part, I bought some of those fancy Nockternal string-activated LED nocks just to find they don't fit my arrows. I think I need type S if I recall correctly. I'll check what type I ended up with (Type U I think?) maybe someone from here can use them.

Anyway it's starting to look like I'll need a final tuning session to make sure the peep and the sight are exactly where I want them and zeroed. That will cut into the first day of bow season. Tough lesson for an archery novice... just when you think you're all set, that might not be the case
    Last edited by caddisguy; 08-29-2017 at 10:16 AM.

I ended up just taking the plastic kisser off and tied a knot with a piece of D-loop string.

Also picked up some serving string so I could tie in the peep sight to prevent it from moving. Watched a bunch of YouTube vids, but not quite decided on which method to use. For now I just used a sharpie to mark the string where it should be. That will have to do for now.

Quiver is loaded with to broadheads and a field tip with a nocturnal nocks as well as two small game tips.

One final check to make sure the peep didn't move since last time (pretty sure it didn't) and I am ready. Only 2 more sleeps!

Now with all the hard stuff out of the way, I just need to get within 30 yards of a blacktail buck

Just a suggestion so take it for what its worth, but since you're a self-identified newbie in the archery world - I would personally carry more than 2 arrows with broadheads and be prepared. One small game arrow is plenty and not a ton of a reason to carry a field point when hunting. In a 5 arrow quiver I'd have min 3 broadheads and likely 4 with one small game head.

Just seen things go wrong and the need for follow up shots with good broadheads is important at times.

Done! I was going to carry 3 extra broadheads (just tips) in a case but you're right. Better to have them on arrows. I'll switch out the field tip and one of the small game tips. Who knows I might be thanking you for that. Field tip wasn't really necessary anyway. I'll leave that and a few others in camp incase if any further checking or tuning is needed.

Seems to me you may be jumping into hunting in a couple of days with out enough time to be familiar with bow hunting or the gear

I found small game hunting to get real expensive using a bow. Whether you miss or hit the game your going to have a pass through almost 100% of the time and now you have to find your arrow and when you do hope it hasn't hit something hard and busted all to pieces. With arrows at $10-15 each, that grouse or rabbit is pricey.

I'd fix that peep issue now, when your in the heat of the moment you could easily forget and shoot low leaving yourself with a miss or worse, wounded game that you'll spend hours tracking.
    Last edited by igojuone; 08-30-2017 at 09:12 AM.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR