Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do if you come across a bear while hunting other animals?

Re: What would you do if you come across a bear while hunting other animals?

^^^^^sounds advice.....and some areas smarter then others.....but follow your gut....in the bush when you alone its normally looking out for your best interests lpl

If you are worried about the one you saw, don't even begin to think about the ones you didn't. I had a buddy have a bear take a deer right of his pack frame that was on his back. never saw him coming. If you choice is not shoot what you don't eat that's fine and allowed. That WILL change when they want to eat you!!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I'd keep hunting. There's so many animals that watch you that you don't know about already. Just watch your back trail.

I like to think I don't shoot something I don't want to eat as well. I have had a few run ins with black and griz while hunting every time the safety was off and my finger was on the trigger. One can not be adamant about not shooting something when your life is on the line. The original poster sounds inexperienced and perhaps a little naïve. Which is fine .Life teaches you differently or you die on the high moral ground.

I buy an array of tags for just that reason, bears and wolves are predators... if its a wolf, dead on sight. Bears im a bit more picky, but i REALLY enjoy sausages, roasts and pepperoni.

ive had several deer hunts turn into a bear hunt.

im hunting for meat first and foremost. But ill do the ungulates a favour first, especially in my stomping grounds

You have to assume there are bears around you at all times, %100

thats a fact of life in our forests

watch your backtrail, mindful of the wind.

ive been followed by cougars more then once.

last time it happened i was with my gf at the time, hiking up an old skid trail in 4-15... on the way back to the quad in the mid afternoon. It was on our trail from the quad. Defiantely an eerie feeling when u come around a corner and see a big kitty nose down in your tracks, then have a mexican stand off as you take baby steps foreward, pull your rifle up outta the scabbord, flop one in the chamber with the safety off as your gf wispers in your ear (can i take some pictures) lol

so after a couple pics and a couple
    Hey kitty
    Hey Kitty
    HEY kitty
    HEY KITTY

it buggered off

Blackies dont scare me too much

Grizzlies command my instant respect and have to be treated as a threat

Bush cats are shifty as **** and erk me.... i feel if im going to get attacked by anything while hunting its going to be a cougar.... and im not talking about in the bar
    Last edited by RadHimself; 08-29-2017 at 07:56 AM.
    "Golf, what a waste of a perfectly good rifle range"

I'm the one sitting in the cut block glassing all the animals you spooked and didnt see because you dont get out of your truck

13yrs and counting in Canadian Oil & Gas...

It all depends on situation both bears mannerism as well as what I am hunting and how I am hunting.

I have been charged by bears on numerous occasions some times it doesn't Phase me.

some bears have caused me to hunt all new area`s. some bears got shot..

Many factors to consider here. It really depends if you figured the bear winded you or not, if the bear winded you, chances are everything else in the harvest block probably did too, might as well head for the truck for the evening IMO. If not I would continue hunting the block with a naturally heightened awareness. As stated previous in this thread, count on bears being everywhere. Have grown to appreciate but respect their company over the years as they dominate the landscape around here late August into early September. Will try and harvest one again this fall. Hope this helps and good luck.
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

You are hunting in bc there is always a bear around you just don't always see them lol

Don't stress just pay attention when your out hunting

I have gutted the deer and dragged it away from the gut pile, then look back and a bears on the pile. I always lock and load when gutting game, bears here the dinner bell when i shoot. They are smart to know gut pile from hunter
    Kamloops cabins for rent!
    www.bclakefronts.com

Check out some amazing pictures on my Facebook of trophy fish and game:
    www.facebook.com/bclakefronts
    What about YOUTUBE, Check my video on how to make a Euro mount:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CanadianCade

If the bear bolts I would simply keep on hunting but with one eye in the back of my head just in case. I would assume that the bear went far enough to feel safe but not much farther so it is probably still in the area. How far will it go? The only one who can really answer that question is Mr. Bear. I would also need to reconsider my tactics and try to figure out how the bears immediate presence will affect the animals I am hunting.