Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do if you come across a bear while hunting other animals?

Re: What would you do if you come across a bear while hunting other animals?

Quote Originally Posted by drbb View Post
    And no, the answer is not "I would hunt the bear!"

Here is the scenario: I was hunting once (solo and not too experienced, but I enjoy the solitude) and was glassing a cut block from a fairly good location an hour or so before the sunset. While there, a black bear showed up and after it noticed me, it ran away in a different direction. Nonetheless, I called the hunt and walked back to my car. My thinking was that if a bear was around and I connected with a deer, I had to be much more careful (i.e., afraid) while processing the animal and carrying it back (and I would have needed a couple of trips, potentially into the dark hours).

Now, my question is to the more experienced hunters. Assuming that shooting the bear was not an option (I do not shoot what I do not want to eat), will it be safe to hunt an area after you come across a bear in that vicinity? Would the bear put a large distance between you and itself or would it just hang around to see what happened? I know the answer to a great extent depends on the bear and how habituated/aggressive it is, but assuming you were in the same situation described in the above, what would you do?

Cheers.
    It's smart to be cautious when you see a bear in the area you are hunting, but seeing a bear doesn't mean he is a threat or your hunt will be ruined. In your example, I would have stayed and hunted the area. The good thing about seeing a bear or cat is that you can assess it's mood and make a decision on how you will proceed based on your comfort and experience.

But keep this in mind, we are always concerned about what we see. But you have probably had closer encounters with bears or cougars that you were not even aware of.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 08-29-2017 at 10:30 AM.

this help?

I wouldn't worry about him if he ran off like that....I would start eating bear if I were you, if you do your part to process it in the field properly, it makes delicious sausage or smokies in my experience..

If you are calling for game like Elk, definitely don't take a nap after a few hours under a tree.
    You will be surprised what can come walking in, how close they get yet be so quiet.
    We used to fall asleep, but Preds like Grizz or Blackies and definitely cougar, were a lot less abundant then
    Now, you can spot more of them then the game you are pursuing.
    Some people, like my Dad...never give bears a moments thought...ever...and I question some of the areas he has walked
    thru....he hears ravens, and somehow he becomes intrigued to "go check it out"???!!!
    Me, I have no interests to go see....reasons are obvious.
    Same goes for walking thru cutblocks that I cant look over top of, and have lots of berries...and where I know bears
    definitely roam in....I don't bother....I stay on the road.
    One thing is this....in areas where Grizz don't roam (and I know they are moving in everywhere now), say like Merrit,
    Kamloops area, I never give bears a thought, and walk where I want, shoot what I want and pack out what I want.
    Reason, blackies are usually under "open season" in the fall, so they seem to know to stay away from humans/hunters.
    But, in areas where seeing a Grizz is likely, I do have it on my mind....reason, Grizz aren't open to hunting in the Fall
    (wish they were), so they are becoming less educated at being fearful of humans....I see and hear about it more and more.
    So, hunting areas like that with partners will always give you some "peace of mind"....and nothing to be ashamed of.
    We are all different in approach.

I am surprised no one has given you the SSS answer

I'd crap my brain, whad, safety off gun up ready, not too close sucker, or a 180 nozler spit out of my 30 ott 6.
    Jelly (n o ) go Slomo -- back off or die --

as much as it puts me on edge when encountering a bear in close range while out on an evening hunt, it usually tells me two things.

1. the animals are out and moving, Meaning the hunting should be good.
    2. im doing something right to get within range of an animal (wind, sent, noise)

So Push on and be cautious, Good chance of turning the next corner and connecting with what you are really out there for. and as said earlier gut and prep the animal as fast as possible and come back in the morning for what you can't carry out.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    I am surprised no one has given you the SSS answer
    Part of the last S is not posting it on HBC. Steeleco has reminded us of that a few times.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Awareness is a trait that is worth developing to your fullest potential when you're an outdoorsman.

And for those times that I'm elbows deep in guts and hunting solo, I use my mutt's nose and eyes to help with that awareness, and stay locked and loaded with perhaps a can of bear spray if I think there are g-bears around. If possible, I'll drag the carcass guts-in to an open area with better sight lines too.

After what happened to Shane Fumerton and Bill Caspell, I'm not into following the old CORE course's recommendation to unload my rifle after a kill.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Jim Prawn had a good black bear story while hunting..... lol....

I would keep hunting. I have kept hunting.... I also know of several "Stolen deer" .... keep your wits about you ...
    and if need be re think your "I don't shoot what I don't want to eat " thing.... sometimes its better to choke down a steak then be one lol.....