Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do if you come across a bear while hunting other animals?

Re: What would you do if you come across a bear while hunting other animals?

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Awareness is a trait that is worth developing to your fullest potential when you're an outdoorsman.

And for those times that I'm elbows deep in guts and hunting solo, I use my mutt's nose and eyes to help with that awareness, and stay locked and loaded with perhaps a can of bear spray if I think there are g-bears around. If possible, I'll drag the carcass guts-in to an open area with better sight lines too.

After what happened to Shane Fumerton and Bill Caspell, I'm not into following the old CORE course's recommendation to unload my rifle after a kill.
    Sound advice. Only addition I'd make, for anyone not familiar with the gutless method, is learn it. Not that a bear can't smell death, but leaving the extra blood and entrails inside the carcass definitely keeps the scent footprint down. That, and you're not up to your elbows or shoulders in guts, if it's an elk, moose or bison.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Awareness is a trait that is worth developing to your fullest potential when you're an outdoorsman.

And for those times that I'm elbows deep in guts and hunting solo, I use my mutt's nose and eyes to help with that awareness, and stay locked and loaded with perhaps a can of bear spray if I think there are g-bears around. If possible, I'll drag the carcass guts-in to an open area with better sight lines too.

After what happened to Shane Fumerton and Bill Caspell, I'm not into following the old CORE course's recommendation to unload my rifle after a kill.
    I think one of the rifles was found with a "jammed cartridge"!! (straight from the CO who was on site).
    So, ya, leave them "In the Chamber" with the safety "ON".
    And with partners, they should do the same.
    That each gun is ready.
    Also, make sure you get to "know your partners rifle" as well, and how "it's safety may differ from yours" etc.

Quote Originally Posted by drbb View Post
    And no, the answer is not "I would hunt the bear!"

Here is the scenario: I was hunting once (solo and not too experienced, but I enjoy the solitude) and was glassing a cut block from a fairly good location an hour or so before the sunset. While there, a black bear showed up and after it noticed me, it ran away in a different direction. Nonetheless, I called the hunt and walked back to my car. My thinking was that if a bear was around and I connected with a deer, I had to be much more careful (i.e., afraid) while processing the animal and carrying it back (and I would have needed a couple of trips, potentially into the dark hours).

Now, my question is to the more experienced hunters. Assuming that shooting the bear was not an option (I do not shoot what I do not want to eat), will it be safe to hunt an area after you come across a bear in that vicinity? Would the bear put a large distance between you and itself or would it just hang around to see what happened? I know the answer to a great extent depends on the bear and how habituated/aggressive it is, but assuming you were in the same situation described in the above, what would you do?

Cheers.

Like you I’m not a bear hunter.

What would I do?

If it was a black bear I’d continue hunting the area unless the bear showed aggression. Then I would walk back slowly with the rifle chambered and ready to fire.
    In general the black bears scamper away not to be seen again. Happened more than a few times.
    I have a video somewhere where Eve & I confronted a large black bear from about 50 yards. The bear was extremely agitated & started swatting & bending small trees with full force. We decided to leave the area( just north of Ward Creek near Gang ) instead of shooting him in self–defence.

On the other hand if it was a grizz I would slowly walk away with the gun loaded & ready. Would move to another hunting area ASAP.
    Don’t forget to carry a properly loaded gun when in bear country & never let your guard down.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Not that it matters at this point, but IIRC from Gary Shelton's book, one of the rifles was short stroked, causing 2 shells to be jammed in the breach.

An extension of rifles at the ready though, is one right at the carcass and the second a short ways away, preferably downhill, unless topography dictates a better spot. Then verbally confirm with each other the state of both rifles being the same, ie, hot with safety on.
    Bill and Shane were ambushed at the carcass. Assuming 1 hunter took the initial attack, at least a partner would have a fighting chance if there was another rifle away from where the bear was actually standing. Something to consider.

I would shoot the bear, then braise it with wine and herbs until fork tender, serve. Enjoy with a bottle of red wine.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Not that it matters at this point, but IIRC from Gary Shelton's book, one of the rifles was short stroked, causing 2 shells to be jammed in the breach.

An extension of rifles at the ready though, is one right at the carcass and the second a short ways away, preferably downhill, unless topography dictates a better spot. Then verbally confirm with each other the state of both rifles being the same, ie, hot with safety on.
    Bill and Shane were ambushed at the carcass. Assuming 1 hunter took the initial attack, at least a partner would have a fighting chance if there was another rifle away from where the bear was actually standing. Something to consider.
    I just bought the pack alarm, works great, and when out with a partner when we have a critter down in griz country, we'll always have our guns loaded and safety on (Im always loaded safety on field dressing anywhere anyway) and keeping very alert, but I'm thinkin I'm gonna set my pack alarm up around the kill site as we debone or field dress as well, why not..

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post

CRF(controlled round feed) or PF(push feed) in bolt action rifles?

Bill Caspell was holding a PF rifle & when the bear charged he panicked and jammed the rifle. CRF action prevents jamming.
    The tragic story was the main reason I switched to a 375H&H Win Mod 70 Safari CRF- for bear protection & hunting.

From Bear Attacks –The Deadly Truth by Gary Shelton Pg. 183-184.
    “Because Bill’s gun was downhill & sticking barrel first in the snow, he must have been holding it when the bear made contact”..…“He had time to bolt a round in the chamber but unfortunately worked the bolt again without completely closing it the first time and jammed another cartridge against the first.(The extractor must not have engaged the first round. I’ve seen this happen during range exercises when a shooter is excited)”

While one of us is gutting the animal the other stands guard -rifle chambered with safety on.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Thanks mpotzold, I knew I didn't have it quite right.
    I've often wondered too, if he didn't just dropped a round in the pipe, but didn't engage it with the bolt for safety reasons. A (CRF) rifle would act the same way in that scenario. In the heat of the moment he just pulled the upright bolt handle out and fed another round into the back of the already chambered round.

To be honest, in situations where I've got a partner and there's a chance I'd be grabbing his rifle, I prefer a fully locked up round with the bolt handle in the upright position. I've seen safeties bobbled many times, especially switching between 3 pos and 2 pos styles.

Not a bad plan Harry, especially in bear rich areas where they've gotten a little bold due numbers and lower hunting pressure. Mr. Shelton nailed it when he said day time bold bears were the most likely to get shot, as well as the best ones to remove from the population.

Most black bears are like big raccoons...hahah mind you being in surrey for a few years I have seen some pretty mean raccoons lol....that being said must always respect them and know their warning signs....jaws clacking and body posturing....wife and I were sitting eating dinner in a dead end clearcut we were calling home for the night....had a b bear come in around evening and grazzed on berries and grasses within about 75 yards while we sat eating dinner....few times the near looked up amd took a step or two...I would stand up and bear would run 10 yards back and go back to grazzing....getting pretty dark and knowing that bear was close ...dinner done and bear at about 50 yards still paying little to no attention to us....gave him a couple "get outta here bear"...spooked him a bit butnot enough....12 gauge into treestump few yards away from me sure changed his pace.......thats what I mean by body language....im sure he is a fine bear and was enjoing a evening meal like us.....had I seen any aggresion or even curiosity I would have been much more wary....I had gun beside me and distance to react.