Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hare/Rabbits in the Similkameen? Need advice!

Hare/Rabbits in the Similkameen? Need advice!

Hello all,

First post here.

I finally got my hunter number and license this year and I happen to be going on a camping trip for the Labour Day weekend on a piece of land between Keremeos and Princeton (around Hedley).

I was hoping that grouse season would be upon us as I know they are in the area (as from what I understand, they are stupid enough that one could probably hunt them with a rock)...but it appears that I am a week too early. Therefore, the only things that I could shoot at are snowshoe hare and European rabbits (which of course are Schedule C). It looks set to be nice weather, so I would not be opposed to walking around the bush/hiking up a mountain with a shotgun or 22 in hand, hoping to bag a rabbit.

So the obvious questions: ARE there rabbits up there (I assume there are?), and does anyone know if they are plentiful? How do I find them (are there any good "rabbiting spots" there where a first-time hunter could get a rabbit for dinner?), and how do I know when exactly I am on Crown land and thus able to shoot at things (are there maps and such? How do I get them?)? What size/type of shot should I use for rabbit here? What time does one see them, usually?

What kind of tips do you all have for this (i.e. where does one usually find rabbits, and such)?

I am unexperienced and just looking to get some rabbit. If this is impossible in this area, then feel free to laugh me out of here , but I figure that if there weren't rabbit there, then they wouldn't have a season for them.

Thank you!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hare/Rabbits in the Similkameen? Need advice!

go out and look around mid day find a few spots with grass along the road in the ditches .then go back just before dark and walk along and pop them in the ditch.
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

I usually wait until later in the year --- after it cools down.

http://www.unluckyhunter.com/2011/07...fe-to.html?m=1

Plus, when it's closer to snow fall, they stand out due to their color change that it not always in sync with the snow. And as mentioned, they are around the roads.

cheers and good luck!

Oh, I'll be back out later in the year as well, but I'd like to at least get some hunting done this weekend as the opportunity has presented itself in a convenient manner.

Whipsaw had a lot a week or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by maxrocks_1 View Post
    Oh, I'll be back out later in the year as well, but I'd like to at least get some hunting done this weekend as the opportunity has presented itself in a convenient manner.
    And I might have my .22/.410 with me as I do the loop checking trail cameras this weekend as well.

Does one just walk along the trail there, or what? Drive along the FSR, then hop out when it looks good?

Quote Originally Posted by maxrocks_1 View Post
    Does one just walk along the trail there, or what? Drive along the FSR, then hop out when it looks good?
    Cottontails blend in really well and tend to sit pretty still until you're close, best to slowly walk along grassy ditches keeping your eyes peeled.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkes3 View Post
    go out and look around mid day find a few spots with grass along the road in the ditches .then go back just before dark and walk along and pop them in the ditch.
    but arent you not allowed to shoot near the road? if you're walking the ditch next to the road then isnt it illegal to harvest them right there?

Quote Originally Posted by ForestWalker10 View Post
    but arent you not allowed to shoot near the road? if you're walking the ditch next to the road then isnt it illegal to harvest them right there?
    Depends on the "road".

"4 It is unlawful to discharge a firearm across or to discharge a firearm or hunt within the road allowances of all numbered highways and any two lane or greater public road in BC that is maintained by the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (or their contractors), the federal government or another province or territory.

The roadallowance extendsa) 15 m on either side of the middle of aroad with less than three lanes, or

(b) 15 m from the edge of the pavedsurface of a highway with three lanes ormore, or

(c) to the boundary of private or cultivatedland, whichever comes first"

Since FSR's are maintained by the Ministry of Forests, Lands & Natural Resources, they are not considered a public road.