Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: back country restrictions

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

back country restrictions

Currently throughout most of the Cariboo and Kamloops regions there are
    travel restrictions in place. ATVs are not allowed on FSRs but on-highway
    vehicles are.
    I'm having difficulty finding a definitive answer from our government as to what
    exactly is defined as a recognized road in their recent road and off-road usage.
    Does this mean that highways and forest service roads can be used by on-highway
    vehicles, but any logging roads into cut blocks are closed?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: back country restrictions

I was wondering the same thing. Buddy and me cancelled our Sept. 1 Region 3 alpine 4-point hunt because he said the roads into the area we go to annually were completely closed. I actually have not found anywhere that states that. We have no quad.

I'm going out with my boy for the youth season, and my take on it is, anything that has predominantly gravel showing and no substantial grass growing, I'm driving on it. With that said, we will error on the side of caution when having to decide if a road is "open" or not.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    Does this mean that highways and forest service roads can be used by on-highway
    vehicles, but any logging roads into cut blocks are closed?
    Very good question Big Lew, seeing all the threads starting on this subject in the past 2 days it seems many of us have the same query. This last bit you mentioned is almost verbatim from the RCMP officer at the GF shell station Saturday morning, he said all regularly maintained (?) FSR's are open, all spur roads are closed, he also mentioned after some prodding by myself that some enforcement would be at the judgement of the authority at hand (again ?)
    Links
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    I'm going out with my boy for the youth season, and my take on it is, anything that has predominantly gravel showing and no substantial grass growing, I'm driving on it. With that said, we will error on the side of caution when having to decide if a road is "open" or not.
    I'm doing the same .

im going with Wonnock boys take as well....

I guess I should have said I'll be in regions 3 and 8....

to late....lol...

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Apparently, as "Linksman313" posted, only recognized Forestry Service Roads are open
    to on-road vehicles and there will be increased patrols, especially this long weekend, to
    insure compliance. This would mean that any logging roads and their spurs coming off
    a FSR on crown land are out of bounds. This also means that if hunters wish to hunt cut
    blocks not alongside a FSR, they will have to use shoe leather both in and out.

A big ole Srupp hmmmmmm....... I'm going to stick with my initial comment based on a little further research. Every road, FSR or spur is "defined" on a map of some sort with the forest service. If it's not, I would think it is completely deactivated. Having a restriction as ambiguously worded as that is going to leave it up for interpretation, and that is what I have done, interpreted it.

http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprS...seRestrictions

"In addition, all on-highway vehicles must remain on defined road surfaces."

de·fine
    dəˈfīn/
    verb
    [COLOR=#878787 !important]past tense: defined; past participle: defined[/COLOR]

state or describe exactly the nature, scope, or meaning of.