Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Charged by a black bear

Charged by a black bear

It happened. Many dozens of close encounters with bears nothing overly aggressive. At most we have just scared each other.

We have had this bear hanging around in the timber where we practice shooting the bow. He has never come closer than 30 yards and sticks to the timber. I have only caught a few glimpses of him over the last few years. He has crossed through our camp a few times while we aren't paying attention (getting changed, playing cards, watching trailcam footage) Definitely a sneaky one. He is usually out of there early August, but for whatever reason (there are hardly any berries, he is still around)

On Saturday morning we could hear him crashing around in the timber. He hung around for an hour or two before wandering off.

Saturday evening, he's back. I was out looking for an arrow from a botched shot (apparently 40 yards is out of the question) I could hear him in there probably 20-30 yards from me, but wasn't worried at all, just business as usual. Never had a problem.

I saw my arrow and came down a steep slope in a less than controlled fashion (erosion) and crashed snapped through some branches at the bottom.

For whatever reason, the cracking of the branches "triggered" this bear like a non-gender-neutral word triggers an SJW. At first I heard him react (a few steps, slight movement in my direction) after that it was like a full on truck crashing through the timber until he was just out of the tree line with about 5 yards of brush between us. I scrambled back up the little hill to add some buffer room so I would at least have a half second to fire the bear spray.

That was the end of it. I know the bear could not have winded "what made the crack" (he was upwind) but where he stopped my boots had been earlier.

So what the heck happened? Mistaken identity? He thought I sounded like another big clumsy bear? Maybe a deer? Full disclosure, I have messed with some of the saplings he snapped earlier over the spring/summer which might have ticked him off.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Charged by a black bear

That bear should be removed, domestic black bears are very dangerous
    Kamloops cabins for rent!
    www.bclakefronts.com

Check out some amazing pictures on my Facebook of trophy fish and game:
    www.facebook.com/bclakefronts
    What about YOUTUBE, Check my video on how to make a Euro mount:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CanadianCade

Quote Originally Posted by BigfishCanada View Post
    YUP ! he needs to be dispatched ! jmo RJ

I missed the part where this bear was domestic?....sounds like hes annoyed you keep coming to his little hide out and fart around with your bow lol

but yeah you might as well stick him with your bow when the season opens up

I might classify it as a"domestic" too. I don't think it's a fed bear. It's never even attempted to get at our food, but it's certainly comfortable around people enough to play cat and mouse (time of year depends who is who) around our camp. TBH I have been saying for 2 years that this bear is "creepy" and it would be a good one to put in our freezer, but we always end up with a different boar.

We talked about our options last night. I don't think we will stick it with an arrow. We certainly could, but there is a good chance the bear will know what happened and where the arrow came from. Shot plenty of bears from under 20 yards with a rifle, but none knew I was there. This guy seems to have a cat-like sense of awareness. Also not keen on arrowing a bear in an area that thick. If there isn't a good blood trail and he makes 70-100 yards it could be tough to find. We decided if he is still around on the third weekend (maybe even Sunday the 10th) of September we'll set up further away. We already have enough bear meat, but I would be willing to pay a butcher to make a bunch of sausage and pepperoni which should be easy to give away.

Agree! Habituated bears that show aggression towards humans must be relocated or euthanized depending on the circumstances ASAP.
    Get in touch with the authorities ASAP.
    Besides bear spray which may or may not work carry a large knife within easy reach.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    We already have enough bear meat, but I would be willing to pay a butcher to make a bunch of sausage and pepperoni which should be easy to give away.
    You have your solution to your "creepy" bear. A well placed shot from a number of rifle cartridges will put meat on the table. If you don't want to shoot this bear, send me a PM.
    Last edited by StoneHorse; 08-28-2017 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    Agree! Habituated bears that show aggression towards humans must be relocated or euthanized depending on the circumstances ASAP.
    Get in touch with the authorities ASAP.
    Besides bear spray which may or may not work carry a large knife within easy reach.
    It is a remote area, so I don't think relocation would help. We can safely harvest it if he is still around with rifle season opens. I'm not not confident about doing it close up with a bow unless we run into him within 30 yards while he has no idea we are there. It could happen, but probably not. My wife will be carrying a 30-06 during bow season, but I don't want to stick it with an arrow to have it charge and then we shoot it as that chain of events would need to be reported.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I might classify it as a"domestic" too. I don't think it's a fed bear. It's never even attempted to get at our food, but it's certainly comfortable around people enough to play cat and mouse (time of year depends who is who) around our camp. TBH I have been saying for 2 years that this bear is "creepy" and it would be a good one to put in our freezer, but we always end up with a different boar.

We talked about our options last night. I don't think we will stick it with an arrow. We certainly could, but there is a good chance the bear will know what happened and where the arrow came from. Shot plenty of bears from under 20 yards with a rifle, but none knew I was there. This guy seems to have a cat-like sense of awareness. Also not keen on arrowing a bear in an area that thick. If there isn't a good blood trail and he makes 70-100 yards it could be tough to find. We decided if he is still around on the third weekend (maybe even Sunday the 10th) of September we'll set up further away. We already have enough bear meat, but I would be willing to pay a butcher to make a bunch of sausage and pepperoni which should be easy to give away.
    \

You can always donate to the Fair Chase Food program.