Thread: Tips for Pitt River waterfowling?

Tips for Pitt River waterfowling?

Hey everyone,

Just been working on getting my kayak all set up for some paddling and duck hunting.
    Hoping to head out along the Pitt River, which will hopefully give me more access and maybe better spots to set up.
    Already mapping out the area with landmarks to make sure that I'm shooting in good directions.

Anyone have any general tips about the river or kayak duck hunting in general?
    Anything is appreciated!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tips for Pitt River waterfowling?

I hunt out of a kayak sometimes. But some camo fabric and super easy to make into a blind. Biggest thing is, seriously consider getting a cheap O/U (stoeger makes a decent one, heavy but not carrying it all day) or a BPS. That way you can either extract the empty shells or they will eject straight down. I hate coming across piles of empties in the marsh and see them sink.

As for hunting the Pitt, as with most lml waterfowling it is weather dependent. Can have a decent shoot on a sunny day but generally the worse the better.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Thought I would get back into Waterfowling if not this season, certainly next... once my Drahthaar starts swimming...

I now live on the Lower Pitt and noticed some hunters this morning directly across from our townhomes. East bank of the Pitt just upstream of the Lougheed Highway... usually I have only seen hunters upstream of the Deboughville slough on the west bank... Hmm... Saturdays, Sunday and Wednesday only... seems we have poachers on the river this am... being a holiday Monday...

Looking at the linked map below - It seems there is a tiny strip of area where it is permitted - discharging over the water...? (directly toward the townhomes... although out of range, I would think the dyke where people walk is within range...)

I found this map online a bit of a puzzle to decipher although it should give a bright lass like yourself no difficulty... If you can summarize for us, that be great... http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/spo...-2016-2017.pdf
    Last edited by elch jager; 09-04-2017 at 09:44 AM.

guest Guest

Watch out!

The odd GBear in the area! Don't forget ...... Only the meat!

PoCo and Coquitlam side of the River is closed.
    Pitt meadows side is open during hunting season, no shooting off the dykes and no shooting towards the dyke. You must be 150 meters from any houses or buildings unless you have the homeowners permission to shoot there.
    Lots of dog walkers around there, be aware that any issues regarding shooting from or towards the dyke could result in the area being closed down.
    Also, you need a dog or boat to retrieve your birds. The public has called in complaints to the city in the past about guys shooting a bird and not retrieving it.
    So be on your best behavior out there, there's not many public areas to hunt anywhere.
    I also recommend keeping a gun in a case when walking a dyke to the hunting spot in this area. Non hunters are more comfortable walking past you and I've found they are far more at ease if your gun is cased. They more often than not say hi and ask if you got anything.
    Buddi doing what she does best!

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    I now live on the Lower Pitt and noticed some hunters this morning directly across from our townhomes. East bank of the Pitt just upstream of the Lougheed Highway... usually I have only seen hunters upstream of the Deboughville slough on the west bank... Hmm... Saturdays, Sunday and Wednesday only... seems we have poachers on the river this am... being a holiday Monday...
    Noticed a few guys walking out with their guns last week (Wednesday and Thursday) when I was kayaking and scouting spots.
    Geese have been few and far in between to date. Need to set up somewhere better come Wednesday and the weekend.

I haven't hunted from a kayak, but one of my greatest inconveniences when hunting from my 14' jon boat is shooting a single duck. I've been told to never leave a dead duck floating, so that means undoing much of my blind work and poling or paddling over to grab the duck. Inevitably, several ducks fly over and try to land in my decoys while I'm doing this. I expect your experience with a kayak will be very similar.

Hunting with a dog would be so much easier and I'm probably doing something wrong, but I'm totally self taught and I haven't figured out a better solution.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

X2 on hunting waterfowl with a retriever, I'll never do it without again. Plus it's so enjoyable to watch your dog retrieve dead and especially on wounded birds that try to escape, it's satisfying to know that those wounded birds won't go the Coyotes and Eagles.